Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since the 03+ models have a electric fuel pump in theory i should be able to remove the gas tank with out draining the gas and keep it from going all over me, my garage, and pissing my sister off correct?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Correct, a little will spill when you disconnect the hose from it so have a rag ready, but it won't go anywhere after that. You can pull it off full and worry about it spilling out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like to drain the tank before removal. Makes it lighter and easier to manage. Mond you I rarely have more than half a tank at any time because it's my race bike.

Use a pair of 90 degree angled needle nose to help remove the clip on the fuel line.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet thanks for the confirmations

·
Registered
48 Posts
how do you remove the tank? I've looked at the hinge and am not sure how to move it.
Remove the bolts at the front of the tank where it attaches to the steering head, prop it up to remove the fuel line, fuel level sensor/fuel pump power and vent hoses, set the tank back down. Remove the 12mm bolt in the hinge under the seat that goes from the right side to the left. Once that bolt is out, you can lift the tank straight up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the detail procedure. I will try that when I am storing my tank this winter. btw, any of you store your tank indoors during winter?

Remove the bolts at the front of the tank where it attaches to the steering head, prop it up to remove the fuel line, fuel level sensor/fuel pump power and vent hoses, set the tank back down. Remove the 12mm bolt in the hinge under the seat that goes from the right side to the left. Once that bolt is out, you can lift the tank straight up.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
And when you reinstall, put the long bolt back through the pivot and get the nut on it but don't tighten it down. First, lower the tank and make sure everything lines up then install and hand tighten the front bolts, check alignment again, then tighten the pivot bolt. Last, prop it up again and install all the hoses, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts