Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with gas leaks and fuel pump assembly issues so I've had to get underneath the tank. This wasn't the first time I took the tank off and put it back on. However, this time, once I tightened the bolt (6x100) back into the bracket, it will not for the life of me come back out. It just keeps spinning like as if the threads are stripped. Now I know I did not torque it or put crazy effort into it, but its as though this bolt was ready to go. Now it just keeps spinning and spinning. Now, I can't get the tank off without either taking the bolts off that screw the bottom bracket into the frame or the top bracket to the tank; which is a two man job might I add. The hinge might as well be useless to me now.

Any one have any idea how to take this bolt off? I don't think this is a job for easy out extractor, but I could be wrong. At this point, it seems like I will need to get new bottom and top brackets, new spacer and new bolt just to be able to take my tank off like I should.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not speaking from experience here, but I did have a look at a parts diagram.

If you can grip the bolt head with small vice-grips and pull on it while you twist counter-clockwise, it might come out.

If it does, and you don't mind being crude, you could drill the remaining threads out of the far side of the bracket, and use a longer bolt and self-locking nut.

Free advice, worth every penny, good luck.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Most likely you've broken the little spot welds on the nut on the other side. Just get some pliers in there on the other side and hold the nut still. It might be easier to take the tank off and the hinge off so you can bring it somewhere and weld the nut back on better.

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
... It just keeps spinning like as if the threads are stripped.
If the welds are broken on the nut then I would do as GC said.

If the nut is stripped then, as George said, you will need to put pressure on the bolt while unscrewing to help it turn it's way out.

For the "stripped case" it might be hard to get vice-grips in there to pull on the bolt. If not enough space, try push on the bolt from the other side. On my bike the end of the bolt sticks out about 1/4".

To push on the bolt the space is tight but a 2ft section of 1/2" dowel from Home Depot would fit in there. To get enough force on the dowel/bolt, maybe position the bike near a wall, set the dowel against the wall, push the bike against the dowel while unscrewing. If that makes sense. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Found a pic of the bracket. It looks like the nut is held in place by a clamp. If the nut is stripped, you can probably bend the clamp out and replace.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
Good find, George. Third option to this is the clamp has poped up and not holding the nut well. If so, might be able to just push down on the clamp with a screwdriver.

I am interested now to see what the op finds out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys! Thank you so much for your input. So I ended up finding the lower and upper brackets on ebay, with the spacer and bolt for around 30$. Used but that's alright of course. I will just swap the whole set and that way this is easier. I tried prying with a flat crowbar every single way on the bolt end while turning the bolt head and nothing. Plus, previous owner had lost the spacer, I think this had a big factor to why this happened. Anyway, I will just have spare parts just in case.
Thanks once again fellow riders!

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
How did you get the stuck bolt out? Curious minds want to know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts