Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have just about kicked this octane thing to death. But, I'm curious what effect the 85 or 86 octane regular gas out West has on engines. I do know that the higher in elevation the thinner the air gets. So taking a sea level bike to 5,000 ft. or above will definitely richen the mixture.
What octane do y'all in those mountain states run in the SV engine? Will the 85 or 86 octane cause the SV engine to ping?
Cheers! 8)

J

·
0 Posts
I use 85 here in Colorado.... Never had a problem. I started using 91, and then switched down. Couldn't tell a difference at all...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm in Colorado as well & I use mid-range (87 here). No problems whatsoever.

P

·
0 Posts
A rich mixture is more resistant to pre-ignition than a lean mixture. Octane (per grade) is generally lower in higher elevations. IIRC, the higher elevation lowers the effective compression ratio as well. (Note that drag racers run more blower overdrive at higher elevations like Bandimere Speedway in Colorado to make up for it.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What about your attitude?

·
Registered
123 Posts
GetBusyDoing said:
What about your attitude?
Heh, I read it the same way...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8) Thanks to everybody that responded! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
asp125 said:
Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement.
+1 avation fuel is lower octane then regular pump gas, it is rated differantly, i knew someone that bragged about using avation fuel in his car, i laughed at him telling him that it is a lower octane, he was a tool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts