Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I bought a 2000 sv650 last fall and was wondering what kind of gas mileage I should be expecting. I really like the bike and just ride in the city. I have seen around the 30 mpg range. Should I expect better mileage from this bike? Thanks all you sv riders!
Doug Smith

·
Registered
498 Posts
Buying a bike to save gas only makes sense if you don't have a car. Even buying a used bike for three grand it would take about 3 years at 10,000 miles a year to pay for the bike. (assuming a 20mpg difference in fuel economy)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drive to and from work, approx 65 miles each way. 2/3rds of it is highway, rest is stop and go traffic. I get anywhere between 49-53mpg.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I get worse milage on highway and best milage on back country roads

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
47.5 was my best,when i was checking :) Now i don't care,(having too much fun)it's always above 40.mpg. :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get about 50-55 mpg. I think 30 mpg is pretty low, even for the city, but what do I know, I'm out in the boonies most of the time... 8)

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
drsmith. That's low mileage. Do you know if the prior owner had fitted the bike with monstrous main jets or made some other mod that would account for such low mileage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
blixem said:
I drive to and from work, approx 65 miles each way. 2/3rds of it is highway, rest is stop and go traffic. I get anywhere between 49-53mpg.
+1

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seems low to me

30 mpg seems low to me, unless you drive really aggressively.

My 04 has gotten mileage from a low of 30 mpg to a high of 56 mpg.
My average would be about 38 mpg ridden fairly agressively.

Like was said before, check the size of your jets, they may be too big.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the past month, I did get track of all my mileage. Between October 2004 and Mai 2005, I got an avergage of 32 mpg (High: 34.5 mpg / Low: 27.8 mpg). I have a 2004 650SVN and I'm the first owner.

Based on what I've read, I'm a bit low. The only mod I made was the Devil pipe. I noticed that the bike is back firing sometimes. The only I think of is that the engine is having too much gas ?!?! Is that possible ?

Anyway, I'll bring the bike soon to the dealer for the 6000Km (~ 3700 miles) checkup. Maybe he can do something :?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
My 2002 consistently gets 43mpg with a mix of city and highway driving.

The only performance mod is the PO hacked off the snorkel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Filled her up today in Cortland the trip tick B said 161.4 miles since I last filled her up with 2.83 gallons and that works out to like 57.03 mpg. when I had her on the back streets and neighborhood learning sessions it was like around 43 ish cause of the slower speeds , gear selections, idle'ing etc.

To Date:
Best: 57.03 mpg
Worst: 43 mpg

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get a consistent 48-49mpg around town on my 04, and I don't go easy on it.
The best I have ever seen was 58mpg on a trip with a bunch of Harley guys (avg about 60mph).

John :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
my best was 55.9
my worst was 44.9

my best was when I first got the bike and was more gentle on it and rode at slower speeds on the highway. I think I average ~48 now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stock gearing and pipe - best; 55.4, worst; 38.3.

I commute on the bike and though the mileage is nice, riding in HOV lanes is good (when I have too), the real value is in the personal time away from phones, radios, and other distractions and time with my immediate surroundings and myself.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts