Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal for an '05 naked? Shouldn't I be getting like 200 miles on one tank.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
I dont think that unusual........

200....... No Way

·
Registered
326 Posts
How much do you weigh?

Riding conditions?

·
Registered
326 Posts
67GTONUT said:
I dont think that unusual........

200....... No Way
I routinely go 215 miles on a tank of gas.
Light starts to flash at about 185 miles.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Mr. Black said:
I routinely go 215 miles on a tank of gas.
Light starts to flash at about 185 miles.
wow...... I get no where near that........ my bad

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm getting 45-50mpg, so theoretically 200mi on is possible on a 4.8gallon tank. Mine lights up at around 150

·
Registered
176 Posts
holy shiteballz! :eek:

granted i'm in CA and have the smaller tank, but my light routinely comes on at around 110-120, and that's with relatively conservative highway riding. been contemplating going with 44 teeth in the rear from my stock naked sprocket.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the way you ride and if you make shorter or longer trips will all affect that. I dont get as good a mileage running around where i live or driving to work as I did when i went on a long road trip. Its all about consistancy...engine load ect ect.

·
Registered
415 Posts
GTKrockeTT said:
holy s**teballz! :eek:

granted i'm in CA and have the smaller tank, but my light routinely comes on at around 110-120, and that's with relatively conservative highway riding.  been contemplating going with 44 teeth in the rear from my stock naked sprocket.

Same here. I get about 130 or so to the tank.
If I drive a lot on the freeway I can get up to 160ish

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I've been filling up around 150- 160 the last few weeks, before my light comes on. Been averaging about 54- 57 mpg. That's with a 23 mile commute of steady 75 mph in the AM and 5 miles of gridlock then the rest at 40- 45 mph in the afternoon

·
Registered
597 Posts
I can get 220 miles per tank if I push it.(SvS)

The tank is 4.5 Gallons (Minus those Cali bikes :p).

Number of gallons to fill up minus tank size = gallons you had left.

1 Gallon = 45-55 Miles

·
Registered
476 Posts
like others, i NORMALLY get 140-150 miles before the light comes on (03 naked). in june i took a long highway ride (like 6 hours) going about 85-95 mph indicated most of the way and the light would be coming on at 120 miles if not sooner.

i've never gone more than 160 miles before seeing the light come on.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
How do you ride? Real aggressive? Do you keep the revs high even when not accelerating (3K is fine for steady running)? I have a first generation naked and get more than 45 MPG in town. I weigh 165# in gear, which is lighter than you, but that shouldn't make that big of a difference.

It could be you have a pessimisting fuel light. Check your mileage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't say that I'm an agressive rider. But I have been riding it to work a lot lately and its a lot of stop and go.
Since I haven't even hit 600 miles on the thing yet, I've been shifting at ~5k, and holding steady at around 3 - 4k when riding steady.

Maybe I just need to lose some weight.

I've got the bike scheduled for my 600 mi maintenance at the dealer...maybe I'll ask them about it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Benda said:
like others, i NORMALLY get 140-150 miles before the light comes on (03 naked).  in june i took a long highway ride (like 6 hours) going about 85-95 mph indicated most of the way and the light would be coming on at 120 miles if not sooner. 

i've never gone more than 160 miles before seeing the light come on.
aerodynamics kill milage for the SV on the highway,

·
Registered
53 Posts
'04 S in CA, 170 lb rider. Mostly highway commute. Light on at 150 +/- miles. Tank takes 3.0x to return to full. So if I pushed it I could get very close to the 200 mark.

·
Registered
415 Posts
RandyO said:
aerodynamics kill milage for the SV on the highway,

? I notice better gas milage on the highway. Or are you speaking just for the 2nd gens?

·
Registered
476 Posts
slappermouth said:
I wouldn't say that I'm an agressive rider.  But I have been riding it to work a lot lately and its a lot of stop and go.
Since I haven't even hit 600 miles on the thing yet, I've been shifting at ~5k, and holding steady at around 3 - 4k when riding steady.

Maybe I just need to lose some weight.

I've got the bike scheduled for my 600 mi maintenance at the dealer...maybe I'll ask them about it.   
i got the best mileage of my life during those first 600-1000 miles. 55-60.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
mrlucky2u said:
?  I notice better gas milage on the highway.   Or are you speaking just for the 2nd gens?
no, I said aerodynamics killls the milage, yes, for me, that's on the highway, I can't tuck in like a 200lb rider I am steady on throttle no matter what road, I ride pace, so I get my best fuel economy when I am putting around 45-50mph on secondary & local roads

around town, on back country roads and floggin it in the Great smokies I get 135± miles/tank before light comes on, on highway @ steady 75mph, I get only 125±

1 - 20 of 31 Posts