Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on vacation and came back and fired the bike up. Pretty steady stream of gas coming out from under the tank. Haven't nailed down location yet but didn't leak without fuel pump action. Wondering how it could lek now. I did fill her up before leaving. Sound like a simple hose coming loose or fuel pump?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay - after a couple days of taking kids to camp, etc. I finally got around to getting ready to lift up the tank and check it out. So tonight before checking I took the bike out into the driveway and fired her up. No leak at all. Which is great, but I'm wondering what might have happened?

When I saw the leak the last time it was on the side stand. Same for tonight. Could it have been gas/water mix and it just pump/drained out? It's definitely not leaking now - and I haven't ridden it to get the level of gas down. Wondering if I need to worry or if I am good to go...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2004 is leaking gas while on the side stand too. It sat in garage for a few weeks. First time it was started, gas immediately started pouring out from under tank when I leaned it over on the side stand. When bike is up off the side stand, no leak. I have not had time to find the source yet. Does anyone have an answer for this?

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I have no idea what the 'leak while leaning on the stand but not upright' issue is, but it is EXTREMELY common for injected sv's to leak between the throttle bodies. It will likely only happen when everything is cold, once it warms up the loose hose expands and seals itself up.

Lift the tank, remove the airbox and replace the two clamps on the little hose (3-4" long) that links the two throttle bodies with high pressure rated fuel injection hose clamps. Problem solved for 90% or more of leaking second gens.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, that's me.
btw, could the gas leak on the engine and the clutch cover damage the paint/plastic ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I got the leak stopped. I had to replace the short hose between the TB's. Now, it idles at 3000+ rpm. If you gently roll open the throttle, it will stumble and return to 1000 rpm. As soon as you open the throttle, it goes back to 3000+. I loosened the fuel injector on the front TB in order to get the new hose on. All the wires, hoses, etc... Seem to be tight. Would loosening and retightening the injector cause this? I used a short piece of 5/16's inch fuel injection line and new fuel line clamps. It appears to be tight and no leaks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts