Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been talked into the ground, but not recently. Back story, the cap that came on my bike was of the Chinesium variety (different key). It started acting up so I took it apart to see what was going on. In typical fashion, it exploded, and all the little balls and springs sprayed my garage. Jeff Bezos provided me with another Chinese cap about six months ago, and it is now hard to open.

Any recommendations for a replacement? I would prefer a non-locking cap, but I heard they are a PITA. Any ideas?

·
Registered
928 Posts
What's supposed to be a PITA about the non-locking ones? I ran one of those cheap threaded aluminum caps off ebay on one of my old 250s, I thought it was slick. They're just not secure.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont get twist off vortex style. They suck. Can be extremely hard to get off sometimes
Granted, this was from 2010 (I love SVR because of its depth of history), but I understand the threaded ones can be difficult to remove.
Again from a 2010 post TWF Racing was offering a keyless 1/4 turn cap
I was just looking at gas caps a few weeks ago (a friend snapped the key off in my gas cap, but a locksmith was able to get it out, so I didn't buy a new one after all). From looking at pictures, it appeared that some were threaded on - like you'd have to turn the thing around multiple times in to get it on/off (I asked Vortex, theirs takes ~1.5 turns). Others are quick release (like a dzus fastener, or like a BNC coax cable).

Zoran's looked cool, and says it is 1/8th turn quick release:
http://www.twfracing.com/images/zparts/GasCaps2.JPG

- Miles

PS: Also, the stock cap is vented. Not sure if all the aftermarket ones are.
This one looks good. I don't know if they still offer it, but it's worth a shot.
http://www.twfracing.com/images/zparts/GasCaps2.JPG

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Vortex cap looks good, but $110 for a gas cap is a little extravagant for my wallet.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
The Vortex cap looks good, but $110 for a gas cap is a little extravagant for my wallet.
I also had a cheaper one from SVRacing. Fine thread PITA that always took some fiddling to get it to start without trying to cross thread, then the vent stopped working. Unscrew it and there was a big "whoosh" of the unvented pressure releasing (seemed to vent in alright, but not out).
Vortex setup is a work of art. Coarse thread, starts and spins on with no problem, even with gloves. Venting is excellent (no pressure release at all when opening). And to top it off, looks great. Agreed, Vortex is expensive, but in this product case, a classic "get what you pay for". ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
In the past I've used an ebay brand called "krator" that seems to be a Vortex knockoff. $25 shipped... nuthin fancy but it worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts