Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know a couple of you tri-state areaer's have the Quest (Josh, Tony, Donnie, I'm looking at you guys) and I was wondering how you liked it so far? I'm considering picking one up for the bike, but I've got a few holdbacks. A, it appears that I have to load maps into it often. How true is this? Say I wanted to put a map of Massachusetts, Vermont and NH in, would that be possible? What about adding New York to that? Maine?

That brings up another issue, it's PC only compatible. Apparently, I can't run the software on Virtual PC / OS X due to the USB connection. I have read, however, that I can boot up OS 9 and run Virtual PC from there and the software. At school, I'm working with a G4 Titanium Powerbook with no PC's in sight.I currently have my bike at home, and there are two PC's there that I could use. Non-mac compatibility isn't a major issue, I'm just a little peeved I can't do it on my Powerbook.

What's the mount setup like? I checked out one during the Catskills ride and it seemed to be alright... Is this the $70 motorcycle kit that they sell? Would there be a way for me to say, mount it on that deadspace to the left or the ride of the speedo/rev gauge?

Also, is the Quest 2 worth the additional $150-200 bucks? It has all the maps preloaded and it has more memory. Oh, and if you have any unique mount photos or just normal mount photos, could you post them? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I like my Quest. I have NJ, eastern PA, DE, northern MD loaded right now which is fine with me. Have notices that is does like having the attenna level with the road. I think the Garmin mount is worthwhile if only to have the capacity to power it off the bike instead of using it sinternal battery.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
the biggest complaint i have on the quest is the lack of memory. i ran out of the area i had loaded when we were riding last weekend in pa. i'm thinking about upgrading to the quest 2 just for that (would also help on trip to vegas, etc.)

i can't help you on the mac/pc issue, but the mounting i have is the motorcycle mount - it comes with the power cord and everything you need to put it on the handlebars.

tony has it mounted on his forks, which if i can find the right piece at ram mounts, i'll be doing as well.

some pics:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
it's not dowloading on a per map basis. you highlight the areas you want to put on the quest and upload them. it's a size issue, not a per state or per map issue. i have northern jersey, some of ny, ct, pa, etc. but not the entire state of any of them

it takes about 30 minutes to select the maps and upload everything. if that.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i don't know what maps you're using with your garmin gps, but if there anything like the garmin maps i use, there hopelessly out of date.  maybe if you live in an area that hasn't had much construction over the last 20 years, then it's no big deal.  my "mapsource" maps for my e-trex legend are missing streets that were constructed over 15 years ago (such as my home street).  i emailed garmin and asked what's up with the out-of-date maps and they responded by explaining that maps are sold with a price-model that varies according to the end-use purpose, and "live mapping on a GPS" is a very expensive "end-use-purpose" so we had to go with cheap-o obsolete map data to keep cost down.  mind you, i paid $100.00 for these garmin maps.  i can buy a $2.00 map at the mobil gas station that has better and more accurate data.

i will never buy another garmin product again.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah that's my big concern about getting a GPS, the ridiculous price for what you get--out of date and low quality maps. My dad bought a Garmin GPS (I don't know the model) for a trip and promptly got lost because the maps were so badly inaccurate. He sent it to me and even I couldn't use it in my own neighborhood.

I really like the features of the Quest, but really any GPS is only as good as the maps it contains. If Garmin is going to use poor map quality as a method to force people to buy their most expensive products then they can fuck off!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i haven't had any issues with the maps that came with my quest. i don't expect it to keep up with construction and new roads, but i've only gotten lost with it once - and that was because i put in the wrong town.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Novadesigns said:
Yeah that's my big concern about getting a GPS, the ridiculous price for what you get--out of date and low quality maps. My dad bought a Garmin GPS (I don't know the model) for a trip and promptly got lost because the maps were so badly inaccurate. He sent it to me and even I couldn't use it in my own neighborhood.

I really like the features of the Quest, but really any GPS is only as good as the maps it contains. If Garmin is going to use poor map quality as a method to force people to buy their most expensive products then they can f**k off!
I dont think that its a problem unique to Garmin. All GPS use "bargin" maps to save money. If you want the latest maps, make sure you buy a unit that has all the maps on a CF card and not built into ROM. At least you can update that.

I wonder if they automakers have any better maps?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I'm using a GPSmap 60CS on a handlebar mount. It has 56K of memory, enough to load all of the Gulf Coast from eastern Florida through Houston, Texas with no problem. There are free software and firmware downloads on Garmin's home page, which so far have been easy to load to my unit. The Mapsource software also has free downloads that keep the maps current. I don't know where you folks live, but the current version (Aug. 05) has every little podunk backroad in Louisiana and in southern Mississippi/Alabama/Florida panhandle areas I've ridden. I've even used it in my car to avoid the huge traffic jams when we evacuated for Katrina.

I don't know how much memory is in the Quest. You should check Garmin's site for updates to the software and firmware.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought the ique m5

it has got me to some places but it has issues what they are i donno

the maps are not very good at all

had a gps in japan and i could see where i was in the elevator 5 floors under ground, so i am sad with the ones I have seen so far.

I look at it as a general guide lol

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Greg,

My answers to your questions...

I use my Quest with both my PC's and my Ibook. Virtual PC works fine with some tweaking. I'm not sure what problems the others have had with the maps as I have found them to be good quality, and need only to be kept up to date by downloading upgrades. The routing capabilities of this unit is outstanding. I like the size as it can be used on or off the bike. I've found the memory capacity to be more than sufficient, as I can download the entire state of PA, along with parts of NJ, MD and DE at the same time.

IMO, I would not spend the extra dough on the Quest2, as it only gives you about 30% capacity, and I've never needed it.

I use the Garmin motorcyle mount along with the ball type mounting system from ram mounts. This weeken I'm going to install some powerlet sockets on 2 of my bikes so i can swap the mount between the 2 more easily.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tonyjuliano said:
I use the Garmin motorcyle mount along with the ball type mounting system from ram mounts.  This weeken I'm going to install some powerlet sockets on 2 of my bikes so i can swap the mount between the 2 more easily.
Thanks. If possible, would you mind taking photos of the install (s)? The motorcycle mount is okay, but I'm trying to figure out other mounting options.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Greg (MA) said:
Quest has 115 non-upgradable MB's. The Quest 2 has 140mb, not sure if it's upgradable or not. When you say 56k, do you mean 56 megs (mb)?
Thats not quite true.

The quest has the base US map + 115m

the quest 2 has the City select 7 us map (detailed map for all the us) +140m to use for elevation maps, out of country maps, etc.

So the quest2 is a substantial upgrade memory wise. None of its 140m memory is used for the maps that the quest 1 normally has to load.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Greg (MA) said:
Thanks. If possible, would you mind taking photos of the install (s)? The motorcycle mount is okay, but I'm trying to figure out other mounting options.
I'll take some pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my Quest 2 for Christmas today, boo ya.

Do any of you have any POI's that you could upload (ie speed traps, excellent routes, etc)? I have space on my server if you need it.

Also, is there some sort of map editor? I remember someone from the Catskills trip posted the GPS maps of the route(s) we took, and I can't quite seem to figure out how to do that with the Quest 2. The map was preloaded (no CD) so is that what I'm missing?

I've got the Worldmap CD on order, as I'll be bringing it down to Costa Rica with me.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Greg (MA) said:
Got my Quest 2 for Christmas today, boo ya.

Do any of you have any POI's that you could upload (ie speed traps, excellent routes, etc)? I have space on my server if you need it.

Also, is there some sort of map editor? I remember someone from the Catskills trip posted the GPS maps of the route(s) we took, and I can't quite seem to figure out how to do that with the Quest 2. The map was preloaded (no CD) so is that what I'm missing?

I've got the Worldmap CD on order, as I'll be bringing it down to Costa Rica with me.
again, i hate you for getting the garmin 2. wanna trade? ;D

i got a cd with mine garmin. i can't remember the name of the program since i'm not at home. i can download the trips, but haven't figured out how to export other than taking a screen shot and importing into photoshop or paint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone complaining about lack-of-detail issues, go into your mapsource prefs and turn detail up to high. That alone makes a big difference, at least with the topo maps.

I don't have a quest, I've got a vista c. I use it hiking, and it's mostly useful. Unfortunately, I was hiking this weekend in somewhere with a trail that was poor at best, and the trail had been moved sometime since the map was made (long time ago), so I ended up trudging through snow looking for the "trail" and finding nothing but more snow, and a bunch of trees I ended up bushwhacking.

Still, it has lots of obscure places I wouldn't have expected, and an insane amount of detail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts