Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, here's my GPS setup. First I installed a remote 12 volt outlet (complete with fuse) and ran it under the passenger seat.

Next I attach the Garmin auto power cord to the outlet.

Then I run the cord from the passenger seat to the iQue in the tank bag.

...and finally here is the powered up GPS in the tank bag's map pocket.

I'd like to make the power cord longer to be able to tuck it under the front seat. I have a 12' auto DC extension cord, so I could use that and place the entire Garmin adapter inside the tank bag as well as the excess power cord. The iQue gives turn by turn voice directions, so I'd have a set of headphones hooked up and inside my helmet as well....thereby not having to look down to see where I'm going.

Comments?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let's see your GPS mounts!

8)

·
Registered
213 Posts
doesnt your power cord run across your leg and flap in the wind? couldnt you run it under the front seat too and have it come up nicely between the front seat and tank to the tank bag? Anyway, I have the same tank bag as you do and I wanted to give you a heads upoon the zippered map pocket. Mine came off in a strong cross wind along with the map, I dont know how it came unzipped but I do remember the wind creating a big air pocket. Then again, the wind was so strong that my tank bag flew up and was resting on my arm at one point. And you know how strong them magnets are!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow....that is some strong wind! Do you have a naked or SVS?

I could probably run the power cord all the way under the seats. It is too short to run all the way as it is currently configured and in that scenario I would just sit on top of the wire. I was just mocking it up for the pics, have not actually had the chance to take it out for a spin yet. With a little more time I could have removed the front seat and moved the entire outlet/power cord forward. The 12 volt outlet is not bolted in place, just secured by a twist-tie.

The map pocket flying off in strong wind does cause some serious concern though. That would NOT be cool.

V

·
0 Posts
I've got a Dell Axim pocket PC running Ostia GPS software. I mounted mine to the bars (I have an naked) with a RAM mount. I tried mine in my tank bag but I found I was taking my eyes away from the road too long to look down at the screen. It's more in your field of view mounted up on the bars. I've got the Marsee pocket rocket also and I love it. High quality product for sure.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm running the Ostia software on my Toshiba PPC but haven't figured out which mount is better. I'm not trying to threadjack but rather trying to get people to speak up if they use ppc's as their GPS tool and what have you found is the easiest way to set it up.

I have been looking at the tank bag option for a while, but I think it would get in the way more than anything. Does anyone know where I can get a Ram mount?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The main reason I'm planning on using it with the tank bag is how fragile the PDAs are compared to true automotive/motorcycle based GPS units. I figure with the tank bag map pocket there will be much less vibration transmitted to the PDA as well as a small amount of water protection. Mainly I look at my PDA when stopped or while using it on a trip for directions I will be using the headphones for audio direction prompts. I'm not ruling out a handle-bar mount, but I figured I'd try it out this way for a while to see how I like it. I know Otterbox makes a shock/water resistant case for the Garmin, but it's almost as expensive as the PDA itself.....so we'll see how it goes this way for now.

V

·
0 Posts
theoldguy said:
I'm running the Ostia software on my Toshiba PPC but haven't figured out which mount is better. I'm not trying to threadjack but rather trying to get people to speak up if they use ppc's as their GPS tool and what have you found is the easiest way to set it up.

I have been looking at the tank bag option for a while, but I think it would get in the way more than anything. Does anyone know where I can get a Ram mount?
I got my ram mount from here
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post...

For those of you who have RAM mounts, which one do you have and what is the diameter of the 650S handle bar?
I'm looking to mount my eTrex and unfortunately the Garmin handlebar mount is just slightly too wide!

Thanx...

Moi

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Ivan said:
Optimistic speedos have been responsible for a lot of bikers speeding. If we were to have speedos that actually read accurately I'm sure we'd never get tickets.
I know you're just jerking around, but optimistic speedos probably prevent way more tickets than they cause seeing as how they usually show a speed higher than what you're actually doing, thus keeping you closer to the speed limit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts