Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have experience on the Yam FZ1? I'm thinking in that direction as it seems like a pretty good sport tourer, good 2-up ride, and is reasonably affordable. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
IIRC, there were a couple of guys here who had FZ1's for their streetbikes and SVS's for track bikes. Sadly I don't remember their names but hopefully someone might. Plus didn't Sarge have one for a while there? I don't know if he hangs out here anymore.

Wow. How's that for a lot of help? :lol:

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
The bf's other bike is a Fazer. I've taken it out and had a lot of fun on it. It's tall and a lot heavier than an SV, but lots of power. B/c it's a standard, it's comfortable to ride long distance. The jet kit installation was a bitch though.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a friend who has one, although I have never ridden it. Everyone I've ever talked to who rides one has nothing but good things to say about them.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm 99% sure it's my next bike. My dad has one and everytime I ride his, I just get excited. It doesn't have the "soul" of an SV.. but it's a damn good inline 4. Plenty of real world motor.... great handling (with some work)... comfy seat for two (the stock one is NICE...).... and it has decent wind protection, yet still is a half a naked.

I would throw on a set of Givi bags and ride into the sunset...

Just wait til the new redesign... :wink: 150 hp new Gen R1 motor and FZ6 like styling (or they say.. new modern styling...)... Heaven I think... If it's what I hope it is... Ruefus better have a contract and pen handy...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called my ins. co. (Nationwide). They want $570 per year in addition to the $400 something I pay on the SV. I would assume that is full coverage. It wouldn't be awful for one bike, but I think it is pretty rediculous to have to pay that much for 2 bikes. I figured a bump of a couple hundred a year at most since it would be a dual bike policy. Maybe they could do better if I threaten to change my bike, cars, and house to Statefarm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As you can guess by the user name, I had an FZ1 for a couple of years. It was a great all-around bike, but it wasn't really great at anything and that's why I traded it for an R6.

The bike had good power and was only a pipe and jet kit away from about 140 hp. It was a little heavy and you could feel the weight in the tight corners. It was stable as hell in the sweepers though.

The suspension was a little soft (I weight about 155) and dragging hard parts was a little too easy for my tastes, but all that could be changed.

Two up riding was fine, but the seat got a little hard after a couple of hours in the saddle. If you plan any serious touring, I'd look into a corbin (or equivalent) seat. My wife and I took an 8 hour ride to my in-laws' cottage in MI and after about 3 hours in the saddle, we were looking for any excuse to stop and take a break.

Insurance was cheap. I had full coverage through progressive four about $250 a year. My rates doubled when I went to the R6.

Overall, it was a great bike...but I really wanted a sport-bike, and it just wasn't close enough for me.

Rich

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
As Ride_Naked said, my street bike is a FZ1. For some history, I had a CBR 929RR, Superhawk, and a CBR XX before it.

The FZ1 has pretty much the same power as the FZ1, and a similair riding position to the superhawk, just not the Vtwin 'soul' as was mentioned. IMHO, it makes just as nice as a street bike / sport tourer as XX, with the biggest sacrifice wind protection. But, everything like wind protection, suspension, etc can be pretty cheaply rectified.

I took my Givi bags from the XX and put them on the FZ. They look really nice on it.

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had mine for a little over a year and it still puts a BIG smile on my face when I ride it. It's the best "do anything" bike I've ever ridden, it makes a great 2-up bike, sport tourer, sport bike, and anything else you can throw at it. Oh yeah, it also has mega power! I pay $460/yr for full coverage through Dairyland. Here's mine from when I rode 4 hours to Barber to the AMA races earlier this year:

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
Does anybody have experience on the Yam FZ1? I'm thinking in that direction as it seems like a pretty good sport tourer, good 2-up ride, and is reasonably affordable. Any thoughts?
Its kind of an older model now, but one that I think was well proven? You gonna get one?

·
MOTORADOR
10,825 Posts
You're still one day shy.

Sent from my smartshoe using my pinky toe.

·
Greetings Program
6,281 Posts
How do you even find these old threads? :rolleyes:
Dang, they got all the oldest ones.

At the bottom of the forum section, you can change sort order from descending to ascending (i.e. oldest first...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts