Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
So uh...not that I don't trust you Ruefus but where did you hear this. I just remember a certain someone being duped about the demise of the Busa not too long ago...April come to think of it. :-[

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
scoober78 said:
So uh...not that I don't trust you Ruefus but where did you hear this.  I just remember a certain someone being duped about the demise of the Busa not too long ago...April come to think of it. :-[
I think he first heard it from ME. I heard it from a Honda USA rep at the cycle show.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scoober78 said:
So uh...not that I don't trust you Ruefus but where did you hear this. I just remember a certain someone being duped about the demise of the Busa not too long ago...April come to think of it. :-[
Heard it first from Fatass - but confirmed it through several people at the shop - all who heard it from Honda.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Like I said...didn't mean to doubt your knowledge...just curious. Hey Evil...which shop has it? I'd definitely consider it if the price was right with my buddy buying the SV and all...

Farewell to one of the last twin track warriors...

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I surfed the RC51 boards, sounds like its true over there too. Really is a shame. Bike may be "heavy" and "slow" and "outdated", but it will always kick ass in my book.

Scoob, Bob's honda had one http://www.bobscycleshop.com/

If its still there, and you buy it, I will hate you.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
four_by_ken said:
Thats not something you hear very often when talking about the RC51.
It is true though, but gotta consider its all relative. Compared to the bikes coming out now, it really pushes the fitty one back. Its a fair amount heavier, somewhat slower and the tech on it is outdated. Its a beast of a machine but its getting left behind and I guess thats why honda is ditching it.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
evilbologna said:
It is true though, but gotta consider its all relative. Compared to the bikes coming out now, it really pushes the fitty one back. Its a fair amount heavier, somewhat slower and the tech on it is outdated. Its a beast of a machine but its getting left behind and I guess thats why honda is ditching it.
Honda built the 51 to do one very specific thing - beat Ducati. It did.

Then - inline four 1000cc bikes became legal in both WSBK and AMA. Honda isn't tied to twins the way Ducati is - and it's easier to make an inline go fast and put out big HP.

They don't race it anymore - which was its entire reason for existence.

Good as it is - it's time has passed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, I agree. The new stuff coming out is just crazy. Hell... the ZX10R was(still is) amazingly light and powerful when it was debuted. And its already had a major overhaul.

I'll just stick with my two '00 bikes and be happy.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Ivan said:
On paper the RC51 and the SV1000 are very close, with the SV1000 being lighter. Otherwise they both have very similar hardware. Do they ride similar in the real world (not just on paper)?
My uninformed understanding of the two can be capsulized as follows: The RC51 is a racebike simply homologated enough to qualify as a production bike. The SV1000 is an effort to make a low cost V-twin liter "sportbike," with no race pretensions, that has just enough suspension to keep the nice torquey motor from tripping over itself.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Ivan said:
On paper the RC51 and the SV1000 are very close, with the SV1000 being lighter. Otherwise they both have very similar hardware. Do they ride similar in the real world (not just on paper)?
Havent ridden a 51 yet, but from what I hear, totally different. I guess even tho the 51 is a twin, its more peaky than other twins like the sv1k. Not to mention the 51 is technically a race bike, sv1k isnt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts