Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im not gonna gum up the forum or anything so I figure Ill just post here and see what I get.

So currently I ride mostly to save gas, I enjoy just going out but as it sits the little nighthawk I have is getting very boring, even though it does get epic mpgs.

Anyway after I get through the winter on the Honda (Ef the cold im going out daily) i plan on getting a bigger bike and the SV's are pretty sexy and seem to be about what I need as far as size and riding position.

I commute about 40 miles a day soooooo... hows the SV as a daily rider? Maintenance costs? Its obvious they have a nice following and large aftermarket section but how are they to live with everyday? Also gas mileage is an obvious concern. From what I gather these get from 40-50? Most of my daily ride is a straight shot from one town to another and I generally ride in a fairly reserved fashion unless people are just going too slow or its a joy ride.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had my SV1Ks for a year as daily commuter and loved it on the hwy. It was nice to to have the fairings to keep some wind off me. I rode my wife's 650n and hate it on the hwy. Great around the streets, great mpg if you're a more reserved rider and the N's ergos are great. Maintenance is nothing on the SV's and plenty of practical power. Happy sv hunting. =)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Since I got my 650n I basically used it daily as a commuter for work and school until the weather turned ****ty. I love it especially as an alternate to my truck which gets 15-16mpg. Commuting I get around 55 but when I go out for fun it goes down into the 40's. I love it for commuting, being in California it means I get to lane split, and it also makes parking at my overly crowded school parking lots a breeze thanks to the designated bike areas.
The coldest I've ridden in was about 40º I think and being naked it gets pretty chilly mainly due to the wind, but as long as I layer up I'm fine.
Also, maintenance has been fairly simple, all I've had to do is change the oil, the filter, tighten the chain, etc. All the usual up keep and its been enough.
Sorry for the long post, but hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Rode my naked back and forth to work 60 miles each way for a few years and except for crappy weather never had a bad ride. Avg 48-52 unless I score some non-ethanol then I get 55-58.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts