Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my little problem child has continued to give me two main issues. First off getting the silly thing started is heinous. No, no, it starts soon as you hit the button, it's getting the key to turn at all that's vexing me. You have to wiggle the key back and forth several times (record is over a minute) to find the sweet spot. If it helps at all, just tonight's discovered the if you sort of push the key forward (towards the headlight) and twist I have about a 90% success rate. Thoughts?

Second problem, when you start the bike, whether or not the choke is on, the bike seems to be hunting for idle. With choke on after first firing it up I have seen it vary by more than a 1000rpm, hovering for a minute then either climbing or falling. Additionally, idling up to a light I have had it die on me on a few occasions and more than once die while letting it idle. You may now color me befuddled.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional info: once warmed up it idles between 500 and 1k rpm, on the choke it can go as high as 4k rpm

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
This seems like a vacuum leak to me. Check to see if the carbs are securely fastened and the vacuum lines are okay as well. Check the front carb vacuum port. It should be plugged. Make sure there are no cracks in the hoses. I assume that you have a 1gen SV besides the '04 you list in your profile.

As far as the ignition switch, maybe it needs some lubing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah definitely just the 01, not sure what happened there, will update it. The carbs just got rebuilt at the dealership so I'd like to think they are securely fastened....... After I get done flying I'll take a poke around and see what I find

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had the same problem a while back with my car where it would take me 2-3 minutes sometimes fiddling with the key to get it to actually turn past the lock. I thought it was the tumblers, but it actually turned out the teeth on the keys had finally worn down to the point where they weren't working the tumblers correctly. If you have a spare key maybe try that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately the bike only came with one key so I'd have to get a new one made. Can Walmart do motorcycle keys or do I need to go through Suzuki?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
608 Posts
Unfortunately the bike only came with one key so I'd have to get a new one made. Can Walmart do motorcycle keys or do I need to go through Suzuki?

I went to a locksmith because Home Depot/Lowes by me didn't have the right blank, but its just a matter if they have the correct blank or not. Although I'm not saying that it will definitely fix it for you, just saying it worked once for me, and cutting a new key off the old one will probably just give you a copy of a key that doesn't work, I would think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dunno it could help. Consider that they would put the edge and corners back back onto the key, since it only costs a couple dollars I don't see what it'd hurt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts