Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got both ends done at the same time. Fronts with .90 springs, oil and racetech gold valves. Rear revalved gsxr shock and resprung. All done by the guys at SVraceshop.

Im about in the middle of the preload on the rear shock and mininum preload on the forks. Think maybe thats 'cause I have a naked and not a S. Less weight up front. I managed to get correct sag numbers either way.

Stock bike lurch everytime I let off the gas or braked. It liked to wobble all over the place with minor corrections mid corner. It bottomed out with bumps on the road. It felt like driving a big american car where the suspension is always lagging behind what the body is doing.

Well all thats gone now. Its seriously like a new bike now. The bike just feels solid and planted. The turn in has increased phenominally. I feel much more confident entering corners where before the bike would bob and weave before I set the lean angle on turn in. Its noticable stiffer just riding around. Not bad stiff, but at least it doesnt feel nearly as bad when I hit more than minor bumps. Dive when I let off the gas or brake is all but gone. As compared to the stock large american car feeling, now it feels like a surgical tool. I can actually feel what the suspension is doing instead of driving with a pair of oven mitts on.

Dampening feels pretty good for now with the setting that I got from them. I might play with it a little more in the future, but for now Ill just ride and get used to the new bike.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hehehehehehe you bitch :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Benda said:
any install issues for the shock? i'm installing the same this weekend.
The madness is spreading! :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Benda said:
The forks are super easy.
The rear... well I had a whole thread on the trials of that. Basically once you get the rear in the air, make sure to relieve the weight of the wheel/swing arm with a jack or something. It makes the dogs/shock bolts much easier to work with. Other than that, its how you want to move you battery to accomodate the shock. I cut out the fender to allow it to slide back where the ECU used to be and then stuck the ecu on top of the battery. Works great.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ls14ever said:
Benda said:
...you want to move you battery to accomodate the shock. I cut out the fender to allow it to slide back where the ECU used to be and then stuck the ecu on top of the battery. Works great.
did you take any pictures showing how the shock encroaches upon the battery box? i've searched high and low on this board for the past 2 weeks and i still can't really understand what's going on down there.

thanks for the tip to jack the rear wheel up a bit to relieve pressure on shock bolts.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, but what is the cost of the SVRaceshop rear shock? I've tried hitting their online store but it keeps hanging up. I've got a 03 GSXR 600 shock that could use some of their attention.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Jason the Canuck said:
If you don't mind me asking, but what is the cost of the SVRaceshop rear shock? I've tried hitting their online store but it keeps hanging up. I've got a 03 GSXR 600 shock that could use some of their attention.
it depends. $250 for their budget shock, a bit more for the valving. add $100 if you need a different spring rate (at 175lbs w/o gear i did). they also offer discounts if you trade in certain shocks off of other bikes.

i think the guys there are out of the office this week.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Benda said:
did you take any pictures showing how the shock encroaches upon the battery box? i've searched high and low on this board for the past 2 weeks and i still can't really understand what's going on down there.
I was drawing diagrams last night when the power went out. :(

basically you need to take off the left hand 2/3rds of the battery box upto where the tool box is. Might be able to get away with a little less. though. The other cutting was so I could slide the battery back. Once you get the fender off, it'll all make sense.

·
Registered
476 Posts
orangegilly said:
Don't worry, Benda, we've got ya covered between Matt, Mike, myself, Slave, and whoever else is going to be there. :D
[rhetorical question]how many svriders does it take to install a new shock?[/rhetorical question]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Benda said:
Jason the Canuck said:
it depends. $250 for their budget shock, a bit more for the valving. add $100 if you need a different spring rate (at 175lbs w/o gear i did). they also offer discounts if you trade in certain shocks off of other bikes.

i think the guys there are out of the office this week.
Yeah, Clayton and Jarel are at Grattan until Monday. I just started working for these guys. I can answer a few questions, but I'm still learning the ropes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts