Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new bike and one of the options I'm considering is a pointy SV & doing a GSXR front-end and GSXR rear wheel swap on it.

My question to those who have done this is: if I were to sell the removed parts from the SV, about how much $ can I expect to be out for the the full GSXR swap?

Cheers:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
217 Posts
My best suggestion would be to browse ebay and Craigslist for prices to give yourself an idea. I really lucked out on my setup.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. From what I've seen so far, seems like it really comes down to luck in finding a deal, like you said. I won't be getting a new bike until the Spring so plenty of time to see if a nice full front GSXR front end pops up to sway me towards the SV..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im in the middle of the swap right now on a 1st gen. Front end for front end has been a neutral to positive expense in my favor. What adds up are extras like Tires(I needed new rubber anyway), upgraded springs, new levers etc... Then the little things you dont expect like broken of missing parts can really nickle and dime. Also dont forget misc tools and supplies. All in all it will likely still cost some money even if you can sell everything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forget the front end, get the whole GSXR! :)
Definitely considering it. I've already owned an SV and loved it, so it's between that, a Buell Firebolt and a 600.

All in all it will likely still cost some money even if you can sell everything.
Not expecting to break even - but if it's going to be above $750 or so, I'll spring for one of the other bikes. I know the rear wheel swap alone will be about $300 for the TWF kit and rubber..

·
Registered
838 Posts
but if it's going to be above $750 or so, I'll spring for one of the other bikes. I know the rear wheel swap alone will be about $300 for the TWF kit and rubber..
It'll be tough to do an entire front end and rear wheel swap properly for under $750..
Is it possible if you find a couple screamin' deals and don't bother replacing tires and such? Yes.
But you may run into small issues here and there, which can add up quickly. For example, I had to rebuild my front calipers when I did this swap...and there went another $100+ for new seals alone.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Coming in under $750 for a second gen could be tough for front and rear. Parts just dont hold much value from what Ive seen. While first gen parts seem to be a bit higher if I was to also do the rear wheel I think I would probably be just under that. My current expense is looking to be about $1000 for the front end when all is said and done(Little things really add up) and then Ive made about $700 back in parts so far(-$300 out of pocket). I still have some misc stuff to sell but really only expect maybe another $100 or so. Then if I was to do the rear wheel I doubt I would get much for the wheel so it would be mostly out of pocket. If you take your time and piece things together by searching out awesome deals you can probably come in under your budget but it will be tough. You will just have to determine if the cost and effort are worth it to you. Personally it is for me but I already had my bike so I was just paying for the project. If I was starting new I would probably lean heavily towards a Buell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But you may run into small issues here and there, which can add up quickly. For example, I had to rebuild my front calipers when I did this swap...and there went another $100+ for new seals alone.
Seems like that's the theme, small expenses adding up quickly.

If I was starting new I would probably lean heavily towards a Buell.
I really am leaning towards one of the Firebolts at the moment. On paper they look great. Very similar to an SV, but with more torque (and power in the 12r) as well as better stock suspension & brakes. Can't wait to test ride both and see how they compare to eachother and the SV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since you don't already own the SV I'd really suggest going with the Buell.
I've just completed a full GSXR front end and ZX10 shock swap and the bike is now a joy to ride. It cost me $AU700 for the parts, $80 for a couple of special tools (I DIY'd a steering head tool which saved a lot) and $100 for servicing the new forks although I did this as a precaution only.
SV parts don't seem to be highly sought after in Aust' so I simply traded them with a second hand dealer for a new chain/sprocket set and new front brake pads - about $400 worth so pretty happy.
If nothing else, I had a great time doing the swap so worth every penny and the bike is now awesome to ride but if you're wanting a high performance bike, a modified SV wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
$750 to $1000
This is pretty accurate. I even went with custom parts and tools to make my GSXR swap a complete bolt on. Everything fits in it's stock location. The only bracket I ended up making was for the speedo sensor. I have a GSXR build journal which includes a grocery list and all the special tools and custom parts I used for my build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts