Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of upgrading to a Penske 8983 shock from my Penske Sport Shock on my 2003 SV650N and decided to grease all the bearings while I'm at it since I saw how dry the dogbone sleeves/bolts were when removing the shock. Since I have to remove the exhaust (I assume I can keep the header pipe portion intact, right?) to get the swingarm off, I began to loosen the bolts for the exhaust. I unattached the exhaust canister from the hanger and loosened the hex bolts on the mid pipes. I am now stuck as I took out the two 12mm head bolts with large washers from each side (left one goes into the frame portion that the cush lever bearing attach to and the right side attaches right where the two pipes merge to one about 12 inches before the exhaust canister). The rubber gaskets and metal sleeve are that the bolt went in are still there and I haven't been able to remove them.

The exhaust pipe will not budge downward at all the manual states to remove the bolt and nut, but I'm not seeing a nut unless it is captured on the inner shelf of the pipe.

Any thoughts here?

Thanks, Trent

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I just loosened the single hex bolt on each header (front, rear) clamp and removed the front header bolts and the two (left and right) bolts to the subframe. A little wiggling and it came off pretty easily.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You need to unbolt the two bolts that are holding the exhaust on underneath, as well as loosening the front header. You're pretty much loosening/removing every nut attached to the exhaust except for the two that hold the rear header onto the rear engine jug.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
6,6,5,7... Exactly what Maviryk said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts