Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am going to buy my exhaust next and can't decide what I should get, If I get a full exhaust then I have to get a pc and have it tuned( more money that I don't really have ) or just a slip on and no tuning just cutting it! What do most of you guys have? Thanks for helping me spend my money!
I know its just an SV so should I not spend the extra cash?
please let me know!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
you dont HAVE to get a pc with full system. those systems are designed to work with stock map. granted, a remap of some kind, pc or teka will optimize the performace of the bike, but putting a full system on the bike without a pc isnt going to hurt it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
just a slipon for me. I cant justify spending $500+ bills on an exhaust system. im very happy with the sound my m4 pipe gives off. Actually I couldnt justify spending $267 on my slipon till I crashed and needed a new pipe! But im sure glad I went aftermarket instead of used OEM.. The SV with a pipe is a whole different beast than with the stock muffler..

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's all about the $ man! If your on a budget go with the slip on. Definitely improves look, sound and maybe a little performance gain to boot!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was in a similar situation when I was deciding on a pipe, and I went with a slip-on. I regret that now. If I had it to do over again, I would get a race mount full titanium M4 system and a power commander. They look awesome, would be a lot lighter than stock, and would give you an extra 5hp. You should see if you can mess with your stock can to get a sound that would satisfy you until you can save up for the full system.

http://www.2wheeljunkie.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=21135

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cost vs HP, just go slip-on... not worth the dinero IMHO, I just slid a M4 on mine and was happy, granted I coulda got 3 HP (yippy) but I couldn't ante up for the difference.  I just wanted to get rid of the Sears Lawn Tractor sound.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Evan said:
I was in a similar situation when I was deciding on a pipe, and I went with a slip-on.  I regret that now.  If I had it to do over again, I would get a race mount full titanium M4 system and a power commander.  They look awesome, would be a lot lighter than stock, and would give you an extra 5hp.  You should see if you can mess with your stock can to get a sound that would satisfy you until you can save up for the full system.

http://www.2wheeljunkie.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=21135
why do you regret just a slip-on?
Thanks for the good replies!
Please keep up on your opinions!
I understand its up to me but I wanted to see what other pepes said ( for example if they regreted it or if they are happy! )

J

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't go with a slip on personally. To me it is a lot of money for looks and very little performance gain. Yes it will also sound better and drop some weight. For the weight savings and power to price i thought a full system was better. However it all depends on personal preference and budget.

·
Registered
167 Posts
JETSPD said:
why do you regret just a slip-on?
I wish I had saved up the money to get the extra hp. I am actually considering looking for the rest of the parts I would need to make my slip-on into a full system for next spring. It won't be the same though, because titanium is what I really want (now).

Don't get me wrong, I really like my pipe for what it is. Of all the slip-ons I had to choose from, I am still happy that I went with the M4.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If 3-5 HP is worth 300 bucks go with the full system, I just can't see it personally. The SV is no dragster to start with and makes plenty of torque to overcome the HP defecit it has. Not only that but using a full-system really, IMHO, requires a PC3 and CUSTOM map to make your kike work properly. I just went with the M4 Ti slip-on, loved it and got a deal on a PC3, the stock maps irritated me so I had one make for 150 and still the SV wasn't a dragster just a smooth torquey machine to rip the backroads with and not wear out my boots shifting gears (yeah I'm kinda lazy).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
if i rode on the street, i'd do slip on only, full system for the racetrack.

I

·
0 Posts
i just put on a yosh trs stainless slip on and love it , added minimal hp 1.8 claimed still sounds awsome. I only use it for street riding

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you happen to be  just  looking for a better sound just hack the baffle out of your stock pipe.

Do a search for ristrictorectomy and you'll get some good instructions.

I did it today.  It was a serious ordeal for me but worked out in the end.  Now my bike doesnt sound like a lawnmower anymore.

Slip-on's are kinda for looks & sound .  No Big deal on the weight you'll save.  plus if you get a full exhaust you get the added HP plus you can sell the full stock exhaust to someone who's crashed or something to recoupe a little of the cost.

just my 2 cents.
C

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Colin said:
If you happen to be  just  looking for a better sound just hack the baffle out of your stock pipe.

Do a search for ristrictorectomy and you'll get some good instructions.

I did it today.  It was a serious ordeal for me but worked out in the end.  Now my bike doesnt sound like a lawnmower anymore.

Slip-on's are kinda for looks & sound .  No Big deal on the weight you'll save.  plus if you get a full exhaust you get the added HP plus you can sell the full stock exhaust to someone who's crashed or something to recoupe a little of the cost.

just my 2 cents.
C
Yeah I thought about keeping the complete exhaust so I could sell it or put back on if and when I would sell it. But I just talked to one of my local shops and he said just go with a leo Vince slip on ( his opinion best quality next to akropivic ) but till this day I am still not 100% sure on the exhaust yet, but I REALLY apprecaite your guys opinions and help!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Leo Vince sounds excellent. Another word of advice if I may, I recommend staying away from carbon fiber exhausts. Over time they need repacking or you'll start getting hot-spots around the rivets and possibly burn holes in the material.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i vote slip on

I?ve had my TBR slip-on for one season now and 18,000 kilometers later I zero complaints.   I love the sound and it does look cleaner than the stock can IMO.

It?s not super loud but louder than stock for sure.

I would do it again.   I?m glad I didn?t spend the extra money for a full system and a pc.   

·
Registered
53 Posts
My M4 Ti slip on with Ti mid-pipe is enroute from M4 in Texas as I type. UPS taret delivery date is next Wednesday. I went with M4 based on opinions from this site, sound, look and price. This standard mount Ti slip on + Ti mid-pipe delivered to my door for $365. Hi mount was $70 more- not worth it to me plus making my tail even more illegal by blocking side view if rear blinkers. Race mount no go because I need the rear footpegs. I was hoping that I would not have to cut by buying the mid-pipe, but I understand that I will still have to. Also, I hope that I can ad the header pipe and make a full system at a later date when I have $$ to buy that and a PCIII. I did not make time to investigate before ordering- does anyone know if I can get just an M4 header pipe, Ti option?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i say go with a slip-on... If so, then go to the FOR SALE/GROUP BUY and get on the Holeshot groupbuy and save some money on a well named slip on, that never goes on sale. And plus, they only come as slip-ons.

T

·
0 Posts
I got the full M4 and am glad I did, although I had to wait a little longer to save up the dough. If you know you can save up the difference in a reasonable amount of time (less than 6 months maybe?) and you don't plan on dropping a whole bunch more $$$ in the near future, I would say be patient and go for the whole thing.

Tough call though- diminishing returns for the added expense and all that. Once you see the whole pipe and how much lighter it is it will put a fatty ass grin on your face.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts