Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 667 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the FuelBot?
The FuelBot is a combined Fuel Gauge and MPG Meter. It measures fuel consumption by monitoring the SV's fuel injector signal. Info from the SV's speed sensor (distance) allows MPG and instantaneous MPG to be calculated too. So far, the FuelBot has been tested on my SV650, and also on RecoilRob's SV1000 and SteveSLO's SV650, and works, well, fantastic! :D

How it works:
The FuelBot takes control of the SV's tachometer needle to display Fuel level, MPG, Gallons_left, and Gallons_used. Precision is one thousandth of a gallon (1/8th oz); accuracy is 2% or better (with calibration). As shown in the video below, a mode select button switches the tach between RPM mode, Fuel level mode, MPG mode, etc... Distance Till Empty (DTE) is available on the LCD.

FuelBot Unit

FuelBot Harness

The LCD below is not required for FuelBot operation. It was intended for development use only, but is handy to have, so I figured I would offer it as is. As shown, it is NOT weatherproof and requires some sort of user supplied enclosure. If you come up with a good enclosure solution, please post it!

A bare FuelBot micro-controller chip will be available for $25 shipped, including schematic, parts list and layout. All other parts are available locally or on-line. Parts and assembly were purposely kept low tech (old style thru hole assy, with an off-the-shelf RadioShack protoboard) so folks could build their own unit.

If there is demand, I will assemble some units, maybe $110 shipped for the FuelBot with harness?; optional LCD $35?; does that sound reasonable? Parts are cheap, but it takes a few hours to assemble and test. Mods, please let me know if any forum sales rules apply.

I am working on a custom enclosure for the LCD (the LCD by itself is not weatherproof) but don't have anything to show yet. RecoilRob came up with a nice enclosure solution, and I'm sure the creative folks here at SVR will have some good ideas too. :naughty:

Big, big thanks to RecoilRob and SteveSLO for helping me test the prototypes and work the bugs out; your feedback and suggestions were invaluable! :rock:

Any interest in this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
110 version for sure. Wish there was a GPI and Voltmeter reading on it. GPI isnt all that important but voltmeter would be very helpful. Would there be any way to incorporate that into one of the info screens?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Sounds very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Super Moderator
3,477 Posts
110 version for sure. Wish there was a GPI and Voltmeter reading on it. GPI isnt all that important but voltmeter would be very helpful. Would there be any way to incorporate that into one of the info screens?
I have a voltmeter next to my FuelBot. It is a single 5.5 mm multi-color LED and cost less than $25,

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a voltmeter next to my FuelBot.
How do you like the FuelBot so far, Steve?

That is very cool. I'd be interested in one for my 2007 SV650s..would it work?
Yes, it will work on all fuel injected SV650 and SV1000, so any SV 2003 and later is compatible.

Do you need km and liter display? I just received an order from an SVR member in Honk Kong who requested miles and gallons be converted to km and liters. At the moment, the FuleBot is US units only, but I am tweaking the code this week to support metric.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes - km and litres would be fantastic! :) Keep me posted...I have not had my sv for very long and I noticed that on your demo video, all the plug connections were behind the headlight - it this the same on an s model? Otherwise, would a different wiring harness be needed?

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... would a different wiring harness be needed?
No, the FuelBot harness for the Naked and Sport bikes are identical; the wires ship on the long side, so can be trimmed to fit the different models.

The SV speed sensor plug is in the headlight on the Naked SV, but on your Sport model, it is located under the airbox directly behind the steering head. When you lift the airbox to access the fuel injector wire, it will be right there. Just plug it in and zip-tie secure. :)

Accessing the gauge plug is easier on the Naked as well, but base on this thread, getting to the gauge on the Sport model is not too bad; apparently it is a 15min job? I don't have the sport model so have not done this myself.

I will let you know as soon as the metric FuelBot is ready to ship. If you decide to buy one, I will send along a free LCD, since you will essentially be the beta tester for the metric version. :D And if any errors creep into the firmware while updating, I will take care of you and send an updated unit if needed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is damn impressive! I wish I had the $110 to spare, because this would be amazing to have. I don't think my soldering skills are quite up to handling those tiny components to do it myself.

I kinda hate you for giving me one more thing for which I wish I had money for..

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Any chance you could adapt this to work with other, fuel injected bikes?

<--------------------- I have one in mind.

·
Registered
218 Posts
that's great! I'm in. Km/l for me and sent to NZ. The 110$ one will come with everything in the video? Plug and play minus the screen, right?

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is damn impressive! I wish I had the $110 to spare, because this would be amazing to have. I don't think my soldering skills are quite up to handling those tiny components to do it myself.

I kinda hate you for giving me one more thing for which I wish I had money for..
Sorry about that, Marlin :sbmfacepalm:. Send me a PM, I will help you out. The price is not a sticking point for me.

The FuelBot is really an accidental product. I just wanted to build something fun and useful for my bike. As time went on and the design came together, I thought it would be fun to get some units out in the field.

If there is low demand, I am fine selling the units at cost. If there is more demand than that, then the fun hobby turns into a job, and the price point is set to reflect that. Up until I get burned out assembling copies, I am flexible on price, especially for long time SVR members like yourself.

Any chance you could adapt this to work with other, fuel injected bikes?
I like the bike Craig, I've seriously considered buying a Moto Guzzi myself.

I am sure the design could be adapted to fit your bike. The fuel injector and speed sensor signals are probably compatible as is, but the tach drive would need tweaking. The SV tach drive is frequency driven, probably the same for the Guzzi, however, the frequency to RPM is likely different. Not too difficult to fix, but would have to rescale it.

If you are interested, I can send you a FuelBot and LCD free and see how it goes. You could hookup the speed sensor and the injector wire only, leave the tach disconnected, then just see how/if it works. The LCD would be all that is necessary to verify operation.

If we get that far, then the tach drive could be investigated, or you could just use the FuelBot with the LCD only. Not as much fun without the tach though! ;D

The only problem I see is if we hit a subtle problem that requires a detailed look at some signals with an oscilloscope, my 3ft scope probes will not reach to Homestead, FL!

If you'd like to experiment, let me know. Work or no work, it would be fun to give it a try!

that's great! I'm in. Km/l for me and sent to NZ. The 110$ one will come with everything in the video? Plug and play minus the screen, right?
Yes, $110 is for the FuelBot and harness only. The LCD is optional, not required for operation. It is not 100% plug-n-play; check towards the end of the video, it shows the hook up. The metric version is in the works, I will post/send a PM when it is coded and tested. :)

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I can attest to the value of the Fuel-bot.:) My 1K actually gets better mileage with the low speed mixture set a bit richer than stock! Would NEVER have found that without the ability to watch the instantaneous mileage.

Have also found the 'Bot subtly changing my riding as I'm now immediately aware of how the throttle usage hits on the average mileage. It takes quite a bit of 60+mpg riding to make up for just a little 20mpg WOT blast.:) Have been averaging around 52mpg's since getting everything tuned properly and this isn't by riding slower....just smarter.

I'm thinking as more people get this thing on their bikes and see how cool it is....Mr Tee will be a busy boy.:) Great job Dave!

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
I just caught this thread - been away from the site from a little while
(No issue or anything, simply a time availability thing)

Anyway - had to comment on this incredible development from TeeRiver:
He has come up with many great mods over the years, but this one is a really professional offering.
Of course it has amazing functionality, but the whole project is a fabulous demonstration of its conception, design and execution.
One of the key things I like is that it is relatively unobtrusive when installed - especially using the existing display - brilliant! - and TeeR has made it virtually plug n play with very little skills required to install for those nervous of the electrical side of things, which can be daunting.
Definitely not some hack-job, looks like it came out of a factory.

Excellent, excellent job - I'm incredibly impressed! :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wanted to say TeeRiver ship's his product AMAZINGLY fast. and it looks amazing in person!!!
Thanks, n2!

Much credit goes to the good ole' USPS, they basically shipped that overnight! I don't' know why the USPS gets so much flack, they do an incredible job handling literally 1/2 billion parcels a day. Every day.

Please feel free to post any install or operation questions you have, publicly, here on the forum. PM is fine too if you like, but if there are any hiccups or problems it will be best for all to see so they know ahead of time exactly what kind of trouble they are getting themselves into. :evil6: If all goes smoothly, then that is good too! :D

I just caught this thread - been away from the site from a little while
(No issue or anything, simply a time availability thing)

Anyway - had to comment on this incredible development from TeeRiver:
He has come up with many great mods over the years, but this one is a really professional offering.
Of course it has amazing functionality, but the whole project is a fabulous demonstration of its conception, design and execution.
One of the key things I like is that it is relatively unobtrusive when installed - especially using the existing display - brilliant! - and TeeR has made it virtually plug n play with very little skills required to install for those nervous of the electrical side of things, which can be daunting.
Definitely not some hack-job, looks like it came out of a factory.

Excellent, excellent job - I'm incredibly impressed! :worship: :worship: :worship:
Wow, D'Ecosse*, you are truly a class act. I don't know what else to say. Thanks!

*Huge respect for D'Ecosse, the tech guru on SVR and major contributor over the years.

1 - 20 of 667 Posts