Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to start my bike and the starter tries to turn the bike over, the fuel pump turns on but then just cuts out. The 2 leads on the fuel pump were corroded and fell off. Does anyone know much about the fuel pump connections and have a better wiring diagram or pictures? I have the Suzuki manual, but it is not the correct fuel pump wiring. I have a fuel pump from a 2008 SV650 that has 2 thermistors attached, both are now disconnected. I think they are to gauge fuel levels? It is a 2006 bike, with a 2008 tank/fuel pump. It all worked fine before the leads corroded. I have the brown square plug pump.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
If the corrosion was so bad the leads fell off, it might be time for a replacement pump. Or maybe it is not as bad as it sounds and can simply be cleaned up and install new leads?

The "transistors" are actually thermistors, they drive the fuel level lights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Does anyone have pictures or a wiring diagram of which leads go where? The Suzuki manual is for an older fuel pump, not 2008.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
Could be many factors; maybe not even be the pump. First thing I would do though is repair/replace the corroded connections. If the problem persists, then maybe verify pump pressure (43psi) and flow volume (6oz/10sec). Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
Yes, you can leave the thermistors off, just be sure to reset your trip meter at fillup... Or, better yet, get one of these! ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. It's this one. First thing I saw was my wires were in a different order. What about the extra wire? The ground? Where do I plug in the thermistor leads once I remake them? How waterproof do they have to be? Can you take a picture of the other sides of the pump and show where the pump wires need to be?

Here are three big pictures in the link below.

http://imgur.com/nSosa,maq6L,4mqpg

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Do you have 4 wires on wire harness side (bike side)? Or 3? Some years have 3.
Anyway, yellow/red is your power for pump. Black/white is ground and other two go to thermistors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure, I don't have access to the bike right now. I'll check soon. Can I just not plug the thermistors in? I don't need the gas gauge lights.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
It should work with just two wires.
btw. pump will buzz for few seconds and stop, unless you start bike it will not work any more (except when you cycle key). So, what you described in 1st post is normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well yea, but I'm trying to start the bike and the bike just cuts off like the electronics die. Battery has a full charge too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts