Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Fuel problem

932 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Jay V 
G
#1 ·
After taking a 40mph lowside about a month ago, my '00 SV is dumping fuel through the carbs straight into the engine. While the bike was inoperable after the crash I had it in the back of my pickup while waiting for parts. After sitting for two daysafter repairing all the crash damage the cylinders are completely full and the engine won't crank. I took the carbs out and checked the floats to see if they were cracked, they seem fine. Drained the oil and changed the filter and pulled the spark plugs to clear the engine. Now I'm about to do it again. Any suggestions? Where is the fuel pump and how does it work? I'm familiar with diaphragm style Mikuni fuel pumps and checked that too, but couldn't see anything wrong internally. Is there some sort of vacuum line clogged in the tank or something that's pressurizing the fuel system? Any ideas? Thanks.

G
#2 ·
The 1G bike has a vacuum powered fuel pump mounted on the RH side just below the rear of the tank. The vaccuum operated fuel valve is mounted directly across from that, on the LH side attached to the tank (naturally). Pull the fuel line off the valve and see if there's flow with the engine off. Inspection of the fuel valve is similar to the vacuum powered fuel pumps you mentioned.

Sounds like a good starting place...

:)

G
#3 ·
Only the front cylinder was full so I suppose fuel pump checks out okay. When I pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs no gas came out, so if it operates under vacuum only it checks out. I pulled the carbs off and started poking around. Took the float out again and didn't see any cracks. Possibly a small pinhole so I'll see if it floats in a can of gas. I took the float needle and seat out and found a few small flecks of crud inside. Can't see much else wrong. The smal filter element on the end of the seat looks fine with nothing in it though. Possibly the O ring around the float needle seat leaking? Man I hate carburetion. Fuel injection from now on.

#7 ·
When I pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs no gas came out, so if it operates under vacuum only it checks out.
So if I pull the fuel line off the fuel pump and fuel comes out where is my problem? Is the fuel valve potentially bad?

I've discovered that I have gas leaking past the carbs into the cylinder and filling my crankcase with a gas/oil mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.