Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! My name is Brandon and I bought a 2005 SV1000S a few months ago. Overall I love the bike, but I've been having an issue with the overflow hose (small hose on lower right side of the bike) leaking fuel after every fill-up.

To give a bit of background on the bike, when I bought it the fuel tank key was [is] different than the ignition key. As such I suspect the tank has been swapped out by the previous owner. The bike runs/shifts just fine & I haven't found any signs of frame damage ect. Either way, I'm not sure if the previous owner swapped the whole tank or just the gas cap, but regardless, something fuel related was likely swapped out.

Either way, when I fill-up on gas I always get a bit of fuel draining out of the fuel overflow hose on the bottom of the bike. It's irritating to say the least. For reference, when filling up I stick the "neck" of the fuel hose all the way in the tank & stop pumping when it "clicks". I do not top off the tank. So I do not believe that I'm over-filling the tank at all.

Also, if I fill-up right after the gas light starts flashing, I can only put in about ~2.1 gallons before the fuel hose " clicks". I was under the impression that the gas light wasn't supposed to flash until the tank was down ~3 gallons?!?

Any ideas or thoughts on something I might be missing? Thanks in advance!

-Brandon

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Those two hoses connect to holes on either side of the filler neck, so if fuel is coming out of them fuel must be getting past the cap and into the recess around the neck. Unless one of the tubes is cracked inside and leaking that way.

Next time you have the tank up for service, you could pull the offending drain hoses and blow air through them to locate which hole next to the neck they connect to. Then pressurize it a little and see if it leaks into the tank. If neither hose leaks....you are back to the cap letting fuel slosh out past the seal.

When the first fuel light comes on I can and do get about 3 gallons in the tank. This is filled to the bottom of the neck....which you should be able to do without problems. Thinking about it, if you fill it carefully up to the neck (more than you are now) being very careful to not slosh any into the trough around the filler....then watch for fuel coming from your hoses. If so....you've proven that one of the tubes in the tank is cracked and leaking. It HAS happened before to some bike from what I've read. Be systematic and you should be able to find out what is going on. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it's doing it when parked outside, it may be the sun beating down on the tank causing the fuel to vaporize. When the vapors flow off into the cooler (shaded) overflow tube they condense and then you see a small puddle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My money is on the overflow hose having a hole in it below where it actually gets to the small orifice just below the filler cap. Sounds like there might be something funny going on inside the tank - maybe it's been modified because of the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those two hoses connect to holes on either side of the filler neck, so if fuel is coming out of them fuel must be getting past the cap and into the recess around the neck. Unless one of the tubes is cracked inside and leaking that way.

Next time you have the tank up for service, you could pull the offending drain hoses and blow air through them to locate which hole next to the neck they connect to. Then pressurize it a little and see if it leaks into the tank. If neither hose leaks....you are back to the cap letting fuel slosh out past the seal.

When the first fuel light comes on I can and do get about 3 gallons in the tank. This is filled to the bottom of the neck....which you should be able to do without problems. Thinking about it, if you fill it carefully up to the neck (more than you are now) being very careful to not slosh any into the trough around the filler....then watch for fuel coming from your hoses. If so....you've proven that one of the tubes in the tank is cracked and leaking. It HAS happened before to some bike from what I've read. Be systematic and you should be able to find out what is going on. :)
Duly noted; thanks for the reply! I looked inside the tank & saw the 2 metal lines inside the tank, but could not see any visible cracks to the lines. I'm assuming there's not really a way to "open" the gas tank & repair the [likely] damaged line? Since there appears to be 2 lines, I'm assuming it would be alright (even if less than ideal) to cap one of the overflow hoses off to avoid fuel leaking all over my garage after every fill-up? Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's doing it when parked outside, it may be the sun beating down on the tank causing the fuel to vaporize. When the vapors flow off into the cooler (shaded) overflow tube they condense and then you see a small puddle.

While that's a good idea, I don't think that's the case for this issue. After fill-up fuel will pour out in the steady stream for a few minutes, even if the bike is in the shade. I'm pretty sure it's a leak. Thanks anyway though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My money is on the overflow hose having a hole in it below where it actually gets to the small orifice just below the filler cap. Sounds like there might be something funny going on inside the tank - maybe it's been modified because of the problem.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Although, short of buying a new tank, I'm not sure how to go about fixing it... Other than just plugging up one of the leaky hose, which won't really "fix" it per se, but would at least stop it from leaking all over until I eventually pickup a new tank.

I'm thinking that if one of the breather hoses is still open it should be alright... Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The hoses in question are there to drain water or fuel that might collect around and under the filler cap. Like rain if it sits outside for example....or you wash it. If, indeed, a tube is cracked and leaking fuel out...it can also leak water in.

I think they put drains on both sides of the filler in case it is either riding and upright or leaning on the center stand. If you can identify which tube is leaking, I'd then plug that hole under the filler cap as well as cap the other end to prevent fuel leaking. This way you'd seal the possibility of water ingress as well as your fuel leaking out.

The cap should be vented on a 49 State bike and no other venting is needed or provided. The CA bikes have a third tube over on the left side of the tank bottom near the fuel pump outlet that connects to a vapor separator up in the tanks' neck. This is where that version vents from as the cap is sealed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for the information! I capped off the end of the leaking hose at the bottom of the bike, but as of yet I can't locate which tube in the tank has the leak. I'll do some testing when I get the time to pull the tank & really investigate. In the meantime, the leaking has stopped, I can put an extra ~1 gallon of gas in the tank more than I could before and there's no "hissing" sound or anything when I open the gas cap so I'm assuming it's venting just fine. One day soon I'll pull the tank, but until then, my issue has technically been "resolved".

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You don't need to pull the tank to identify which hose is which. Just remove the fuel cap....three bolts @ 12:00, 5:00 and 7:00. The other two just hold the ring to the cap itself and prevent you from putting a vented cap on CA bike and vise versa.

With the cap off the tank, add a hose to each drain line and while blowing in each feel for the air coming out of the respective hole up on top. Plug the offending one and you won't have to worry about water getting in...which it WILL!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts