Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of days, my fuel light on my 2005 SV650S has begun blinking rapidly. It blinks about twice a second for about 30 seconds, then stops for about 10 seconds, then repeats.

Normally it blinks slowly when the fuel level is low, then comes on constantly when it's really low. It's been about 145 mi. of city driving since the last fill-up, so it's about time for the fuel light to start its normal blinking, but I've never seen it blink rapidly and can't find any threads with that issue. The owners manual doesn't mention anything about rapid blinking that I can find.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmm ... mine doesn't blink at all. It just comes on when I hit the 1 gallon mark.

Maybe you accidentally got some blinker fluid in the gas tank. :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'03 is the model year that doesn't blink. Earlier and later years blink slowly at about 1-1.5 gallons, then come on constantly at about 0.5 gallon.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Have you checked your manual? I'd look in mine, but its outside under the rear seat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owners manual doesn't mention anything about rapid blinking that I can find.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've never run mine low enough to have it come on steady... don't feel like pushing it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I rode mostly highway the last two days. The fuel light came on about 150 miles on the dot. It stayed on solid up until 178 miles until I filled it. I never got a blinking light of any sort. Unless Im in the twisties and the gas is shaking around for a few mins, the light stays on constant.

Due explain this blinking thing? Is it supposed to do that? I have an 04 650S

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
The 03's and 04's don't blink. Earlier and later do but those two model years do not.

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
It blinks about twice a second for about 30 seconds, then stops for about 10 seconds, then repeats.
It sound like you may have a bad fuel level thermistor. There are 2 of them in the 2005. Does the light turn on steady (2nd thermistor senses this) when you get very low?

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
Nope it’s low voltage!
Low voltage will not cause the fuel light to rapid blink.

Rapid blink is a warning that the Very_low_fuel sensor has failed.

If the Very_low_fuel sensor goes active before the Low_fuel sensor - an impossible condition - then the gauge rapid flashes the fuel light to indicate the failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Low voltage will not cause the fuel light to rapid blink.

Rapid blink is a warning that the Very_low_fuel sensor has failed.

If the Very_low_fuel sensor goes active before the Low_fuel sensor - an impossible condition - then the gauge rapid flashes the fuel light to indicate the failure.
Thanks for your reply! Just tried - it will happen with low voltage on SV650 99-02. Try connecting to lab power supply and slowly increase from 8V up with ignition key to ON. At around 10V rapid flash starts.

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
... Try connecting to lab power supply and slowly increase from 8V up with ignition key to ON. At around 10V rapid flash starts.
What are your voltages on Red/Black (Low_fuel) and Black/LtGreen (Very_low_fuel) when you do this?

If B/Lg is below about 7.5v (fuel light sensor voltage threshold) and R/B is above 7.5v then the fuel light will Rapid Flash indicating a fuel sensor error, specifically, the sensors are indicating Very_low_fuel but not Low_fuel, an impossible condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for Your reply and clarification! Someday will check. Was servicing a battery with Maxwell capacitors on my SV when noticed this / googled it for hints. Not that it bothers me as I know both sensors are fine, just noticed the behaviour.

·
Super Moderator
8,581 Posts
I see how that could happen while bringing the gauge up from 7v (below fuel sensor threshold) to 10v (where the gauge controller wakes up).

It would be a race condition where the fuel sensor inputs are triggered by the artificially low voltage, not triggered by real fuel level. When the gauge controller wakes up, if it sees "very_low" active without "low" then the fuel light will rapid flash. But once the gauge is above 10v, the rapid flash will stop after the 30 second fuel light latch time.

Really though, if the battery is ever at or below 7v, do not expect anything on the bike to act normally, especially true for the starter motor, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts