Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo... i've been fiddling with my fuel level sensor and cant seem to get it to work as it should.

btw, this is on 2000 with a vapor dashboard. and no the solder joints are not broken on the unit.

so, when i have the sensor connected to the wiring harness (key in on position) and out of the tank, just after dunking in some gasoline, it takes about a minute for the upper thermistor to heat up appreciably, lower resistance, and cause the light to come on. when using an incandescent bulb, its very faint light from beginning to fully brightness. so i hooked up a resistor between bulb leads and tried again with an LED bulb. same thing, but the resistor got hot and LED lit up. still takes about a minute to get to full brightness. i tried with a 50 ohm 10W resistor and then with a 47 ohm 1/2W resistor. both worked fine and of course, the 1/2W resistor got a bit hotter. i looked at the data sheet for the thermistors and it says the proper bulb is 3.4W; so i will need to add a higher wattage resister than the .5W.

ok, so my problem is: 1. light takes too long to light up, and 2. it doesn't flash (not really a problem per se, but it should flash AFAIK. Is it not flashing because its the vapor dashboard (wired direct) and not some circuitry that was stock inside the instrument panel?

and then the other problem is that the lower level sensor doesn't work at all. is there a way to repair the thermistor itself? i looked for the recommended panasonic ertlg12n7, but found only tech sheets so far. ive looked everywhere i can, but that model of thermistor seems to be out of my reach.

well, anyway, thanks to any who can point me in the right direction.
thanks!

oh, and btw, i measured resistance at 35C (95F) ambient temp and found that the B/Lg -> Grnd is 1040 Ohm and R/B -> Grnd is 1273 Ohm. these i believe are in the proper range of readings for a non-fried set of thermistors.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, so i was being a dumb, and figured out why the lower thermistor wasn't working. it wasn't connected to the bulb. :facepalm: i spliced it into the bulb wiring and voila it works!

but... there still isn't any blinking going on with the upper thermistor. i'm convinced thats a relay of some sort that i lost when i swapped stock gages for the Vapor. i'm gonna research relays to maybe help differentiate between upper and lower level thermistors.

the only other thing troubling me about these silly things is the time delay between level going low and thermistor heating up (light coming on). if the level goes low, but splashes inside, the thermistor will rewet and cause the light to not turn on at all (due to being cooled by the fuel). how would one fix the slowness of the thermistor heating up?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts