Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you guys have any opinion on using a injector/carb cleaner? how often? is it a no no for any reason? is it okay to use a whole bottle?

also, is there any benefit to supreme aside from a little extra power?

·
Registered
105 Posts
there isnt anything wrong with using injector cleaner now and then. Maybe every 5-8K. DO NOT use a whole bottle as a bottle is supposed to treat like 15-20 gallons depending on what u buy. It might cause it to run horribly. Using supreme does not give you more power. It just has a higher resistance from detonation..(pinging). Its your choice to what you use. I personally use supreme everytime seeing I do tend to ride it hard sometimes and for a few pennies more I get a higher grade of gas. Dont get anyone started about talking about what grade of gas to use...it can get ugly. lol

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
one of the bigger benefits of running 93/94 octane is that it is a cleaner fuel. yes, it does take a split second longer to ignite, but it does burn hotter and it burns cleaner. so in the long run, it will help keep crappy deposits out of your motor b/c its burning up the mixture better and burning hotter. so yeah, super wont necessarily give you more power, but it will make your bike run better/cleaner. the only petrol i use is shell 93 or sunoco 94

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
sicksv650 said:
one of the bigger benefits of running 93/94 octane is that it is a cleaner fuel. yes, it does take a split second longer to ignite, but it does burn hotter and it burns cleaner. so in the long run, it will help keep crappy deposits out of your motor b/c its burning up the mixture better and burning hotter. so yeah, super wont necessarily give you more power, but it will make your bike run better/cleaner. the only petrol i use is shell 93 or sunoco 94
False.

Premium fuel does NOT burn "hotter", just "later". It is designed to be used in high compression situations where regular fuel would detonate prematurely.

·
Registered
231 Posts
By using 87 octane fuel which ignites the air/fuel mixture sooner for a more complete burn. You will get the added benefit of better fuel mileage (MPG) and it will keep the combustion chamber area cleaner longer.
Like was previously mentioned leave the higher octane fuel for the RACERS. They have to use it with there higher compression more advanced total ignition timing highly tuned RACE bikes.
Cheers! :wink:

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
False.

Premium fuel does NOT burn "hotter", just "later". It is designed to be used in high compression situations where regular fuel would detonate prematurely.
+1

and to add to that.......

Since a higher octane fuel burns later...... in an engine NOT designed to use the longer burn, such as our SV motor, tiny droplets of unburned fuel will be left over after each ignition stroke, which end up sitting on the top of the piston..... to later turn into carbon deposits.

In short.... running higher octane fuel in an engine not designed to use it, does more harm then good.... if fact it actually DOES harm, and does NO good.

Back to the subject at hand....., running some fuel injector cleaner every so often, cant hurt. But most of them are hocus pocus crap.

The one I have heard has the best results is the Chevron brands

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is true. Higher octane is for higher compression motors. Use what the manufaturer recommends as that is what the motor is designed to run. If you doubt this I have an example from a manufaturer's owner manual. My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 says in the manual to run "87 octane fuel and the use of higher octane fuels could degrade performance."

So, unless you have done some internal motor work or advanced the timing a fair bit save your money and put in the cheap stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
hi octane does not burn later, nor is it designed for high compression engines

hi octane, just resists igniting prematurely without the spark, either from compression like a diesel, or hot spots within the combustion chamber

it ignites with the spark, just like any other gasoline

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
sorry didn't mean to jack the thread

I run fuel system cleaner occasionally in my SV, I usually dump about 1/4 bottle in my bike tank, then the rest in my cage, about every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
All fuels have additives

There is no need to add fuel injector cleaner. All fuels have detergent additives. Oil companies (I work for a major oil company) advertise the heck out of "cleaner burning premium fuels with fuel system cleaners" but it's all B.S. You may need fuel system cleaners on very high mileage vehicles. For the most part they are snake oil. Won't hurt if you proportion the mix, but it won' help either. The most important thing is to keep the fuel dry. So don't lay the bike up without filling the tank up.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
RandyO said:
hi octane does not burn later, nor is it designed for high compression engines

hi octane, just resists igniting prematurely without the spark, either from compression like a diesel, or hot spots within the combustion chamber

it ignites with the spark, just like any other gasoline
No crap, reallly? By "later" I meant it was more resistent to premature detination, just like the rest of my post stated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
see what you started...lol...please nobody ever start a fuel grade thread again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts