Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last two times I have got gas it starts flowing up from the gas cap and down the tank. I thought I overfilled it last time, but this time I only went about 3/4ths, and it still happens. It is pressure forcing fuel up the drain/vent hole, not out the actual spout to fill from. If I crack the cap open it stops immediately coming up the hole.

I would get a new gas cap, but I am not sure that will solve the problem.

And this may be part of the problem, I added tank liner recently, called kreem as the tank had gotten rusty inside when the previous owner let it sit for 3 years (why I got the bike for only $1900). Water seems to make it into the tank when it rains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am still confused though. How is gas getting in my overflow drain line? Shouldn't that line running through the tank be sealed so no gas can get into it? Also I do not see why you think my gas cap is poorly sealed, it seals enough to create a pressure that forces fuel out unless I crack it open.

Sorry I just need more explanation. I appreciate the help

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
there are two drains/vents. the left side of the filler hole is the drain tube that allows rain water to drain instead of going into the tank. it exits through the larger of the two hoses in front of the right footpeg. the right side of the filler hole, which should have a rubber fitting as well, is the air vent tube, shared with the coolant overflow bottle via a tee fitting, and is the smaller of the two hoses in front of the right footpeg. this vent allows atmospheric pressure to enter the tank, preventing a vacuum build up as fuel level drops. this may be where your system is plugged, forcing fuel through the larger hose just as if you had over filled the tank.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Your gas cap is toast. I picked up a salvage 08 that the gas cap didnt seal on. One of those tubes is if it gets up past the tank seal, supposed to be just for if you spill some up there while filling up, given a sealed gas cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts