Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought this bike I have only put 1 tank of fuel through it. I got 208 km's from the tank. On the fill up, it took 17.6 litres. That comes out to 27.8mpg after all the conversions. In my opinion, WAY too low.
Also, once I hit 4000-4500rpm, it buzzes my butt something fierce. Up near 6k, it quits again and smooths out.

I suspect I am not firing on all cylinders.

Can I get another opinion?

BTW, 11,300km on the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2000 naked, about 34k miles....my last few tanks i have averaged 38-42 mpg with spirited commuting. I would say with 27.8 mpg something is up....

·
Registered
270 Posts
The bike only holds 17 litres (4.5 gallons) completely empty. Are you sure it was 208 KM and not miles? Because if it's miles you are at 46.2 mpg which is right where you should be. If it is Km then yes something is out of whack. Check the easy stuff first. Tire pressures, air filter, spark plugs, old fuel. What is your RPM at idle? Any aftermarket stuff? If so what do you have? What RPM's are you shifting at? With the info you provided my guess would be old plugs and/or your carbs need to be cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Since I bought this bike I have only put 1 tank of fuel through it. I got 208 km's from the tank. On the fill up, it took 17.6 litres. That comes out to 27.8mpg after all the conversions. In my opinion, WAY too low.
Also, once I hit 4000-4500rpm, it buzzes my butt something fierce. Up near 6k, it quits again and smooths out.

I suspect I am not firing on all cylinders.

Can I get another opinion?

BTW, 11,300km on the bike.
17.6 litres?/ 4.65 gallons in a 4.2 gal tank

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
your math is flawed like Randy pointed out ...........but yea, i get 58mpg. @ 70mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is my math flawed?

I put 17.56 litres of fuel in the tank when I filled up. That's what the gas receipt says. Maybe I got screwed at the pump. But it was very empty. I could not hear any gas swishing around when I opened the tank and rocked the bike.

My bike is all Km's. Nothing is in miles on it. The trip odometer read 208kms when I filled it. That is 130 miles. I should be able to go a lot further than that.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
did you start with a full tank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same here...ive been getting 100 miles with a full tank, then the light starts blinking. I have never redlined when riding either. Good filter, carbs cleaned...

·
Registered
151 Posts
My best suggestion is to check the tire pressures. When my rear tire was at 34psi i was getting 30ish mpg and with new tires and setting them at 40psi i am now getting 42mpg.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My '01 got 48-52 consistently no matter how I rode it. This year it dropped to 40-42 and the front pipe got hot enough to start melting my chin spoiler.

I sync'd the carbs and I'm now back to ~50MPG and the front pipe runs a lot cooler. Guess the front cylinder was fighting the back one.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
850 Posts
1) Did anyone, to your knowledge, change the jetting on the carbs?

2) What additive is in the fuel? For instance, if the gas has a high percentage of ethanol (15-20%) you would experience higher fuel usage, as it takes more to make the same power. Also could be a reason for a re-jet (aka, it ran really lean on the gas available so they bumped up the jet size to compensate = more gas used)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

2) What additive is in the fuel? For instance, if the gas has a high percentage of ethanol (15-20%) you would experience higher fuel usage, as it takes more to make the same power. Also could be a reason for a re-jet (aka, it ran really lean on the gas available so they bumped up the jet size to compensate = more gas used)
As long as the seller was being honest (except for the crappy mileage) the bike is 100% stock except he changed the dogbones to lower for his wife to ride. He gave me the shorter set and I will be changing them back this week.

I'm not sure of the ethanol content in the gas, but I always put premium in her.

·
Registered
151 Posts
try using regular 87. I was running premium and got horrible mileage before. I now run 87 all the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
... Also, once I hit 4000-4500rpm, it buzzes my butt something fierce.
You might be right about not firing on both cylinders, GoalieD; low mpg and lots of vibration could mean it's running on one (or mostly one) cylinder. Try squirt water on the header pipes to see if they are heating evenly. One cylinder running is pretty obvious, but if the bike is new to you, there is no basis for comparison.

Can you easily hit 90 MPH?

... I have only put 1 tank of fuel through it.
If the power is OK, maybe check mpg over a couple more tanks just to be sure.

If everything checks out, but MPG is still down in the 20's, I agree with Muskrat, check the jets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always thought it was best to run premium in a bike because it burns cleaner, therefore less gunk in the carbs?

I have no base for comparison, thats why I asked the pros here. This is only my second bike. I graduated from a Kawi EX500. Quite frankly, I was expecting a lot more of a power difference. This is not the case however. There is more power than the 500, but not a lot. Without dumping the clutch, there is no way I could get the front tire off the ground, or even make me nervous. It's got more low end torque, but fairly weak on the high end.

Haven't had it up to 90mph yet. Don't really want to get out somewhere where I can open it up until I know whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems that your case is the same with mine. I must admit, the previous owner did mention it being used as a track bike before( i dont know if that makes a difference). But as far as my research goes, synchronizing the carbs provides best results for the mpg problemm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts