Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i am owner of an sv 650s 2001.I Change slip on (Black Widow) an an air filter. Now my bike goes nearly 9 lit/100km.I saw other guys with carb svs and no one was close to that. This consumption is for commute, when i travel i get 5.2 lit/100km.I am gonna jet the bike tommorow, i saw some topics about jetting, and im gonna go 145 mains and 20 pillots on 2,5+1/4. I hope my fuel consumption Will get better because now is getting lean by fuel, the air is too mutch for the amount of air it gets from k&n+free exhaust.. Any other idea why is drinking so match fuel in City?!?!? Any advice for better fuel consumption?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This site is not active anymore? :/ Anyway i changed the main jets with 152 and pilots with 20.The performance gains are HUGE especially above 7000rpm,its ¨better¨ than 4 cyclinder in highways.I will update once more for fuel consuption,i hope i will late ;p

·
Registered
885 Posts
Remember this is a American site and when talking fuel consumption Liters and Kilometres don't make sense to a lot of people myself included as we use Imperial measurements(UK) as well but slightly different gallons. This is why you will see people on here use MPG(Miles Per Gallon).

HTH :)

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
When you make a drastic change to the intake system when carburetors are involved you have thrown off the balance between jetting and restriction which will require adjustment....perhaps even beyond changing jets. CV carbs need airflow through their venturi's to create the pressure differential to lift the slides and reducing the intake restriction will alter how they react. You might need to enlarge the hole leading to the diaphragms or move the needle position and even then it's often difficult to get things exactly right. I try to caution people to NOT alter the intake side of carburetor equipped engines because of all the trouble it can cause for a VERY slight improvement if you get everything working right...which many do not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies guys!The bike was GREAT above 7000 rpm but below that its not so good.Inside town riding about 3,000-5,000 rpm the fuel consuption was 7,6lt/100km (37mpg).That was really bad..I gone to gas station and full the tank.I got outside town hitting 200-220 km 3-4 times a ride and gennerally i was cruising above 7,000 rpm and i got a fuel consuption of 5,5 lt/100 (51mpg).I am going to pilots 2 size+ (from 20 to 22).I hope it will get better inside the town,in this stage the difference between highway trave and inside town is huge...But above 7000rpm it fly...And i get also better fuel consuption at 8,000 rpm than at 3-4,so im going to get even better pilots..I will update in a week or a bit more any ideas are acceptable!

·
Registered
36 Posts
when you change the exhaust you lean the bike at high rpm. if you go from 2.5 turns out on the pms screws to 2.75, leave the pilots at 17.5.and increase the mains one size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will tell you the path i choose to understand.When i took the bike the mixure was 3.5(!!!!)i turned it in 2.6 front 2.6 plus a little back.The bike above 9.000 rpm was dead 190 km top speed and poor acceleration above 7.000...And the problem was not really the acceleration.The fuel consuption was TERRIBLE.Once 32 MPG(!!!!).So i must do what i have to do or sell the bike.So i gone 152 main jets and 20 pilots.The bike above 7,000 rpm fly,,,It works like a 4cylinder on the highway and i get a lot of fuel consuption inside town wheen i commute at 3000-5000 rpm.Now i am to 39mpg commute to work inside town and 50mpg in highways.Also at low revs the exhaust pop out and when i am low revs the bike is getting hot..So its running lean low i must get a bigger pillot,the one that leans now its 20.I will go to 22.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.Today i failed cause i done 2 things in one.I got the needle on possition 3(biiiiiiiiiiiiiig mistake,dont ever do it) and the pilot 21.5 .Now i must get the carbs out again and turn the needle down to 2.After 180km it dies and before that i was 220 easy...I failed...Must work on them again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.I got needles down to 1.It lost its nerve,is softer and more progressive but not as powerfull as before,but i got 46 mpg!!Now the fuel consuption is great but....the bike is deffinatelly 5hp down....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final update.Needles in 1st place,155 main 21 pilot,3 mix.The bike runes smooth AF,never gets out of power,great highway performance,amazing B roads fun and the fuel consuption problem....50mpg achieved!!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts