Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone here has had to use a fuel bottle while out on the road and about how many miles extra did it give them. I did a search but couldn't seem to find out approximately how many extra miles of gas they hold. I might have to make an emergency trip up to Washington from California for a family emergency, and know from experience that there are some stretches out there where you can go hours before seeing a gas station. Also what size, or even brand would anyone recommend thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with range, unless you are going way out in the boonies. I have been from washington to cali and back, and through oregon, idaho, and montana on less traveled routes and never had a problem, except in northern california in the early morning when the gas station was closed and I had to wait half an hour. Even then I probably could have made it to the next town, even with a tailbag and saddlebags. On the freeway I have gotten 200 miles out of a tank, probably could have gone further but didn't want to try it. If you take I-5 you will not have a problem, and if you have to get off it just fill up every 80 miles or so. Only time to worry would be at night, some towns close down at 1900 or so, including the gas station.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SunTzu said:
Only time to worry would be at night, some towns close down at 1900 or so, including the gas station.
Thats my primary concern, as I will be leaving Sacramento around 1800 and driving straight through the night. I will be on I-5 the whole way and have a GPS unit that I will be using to track down gas stations, but most of the small towns gas stations don't show up on the GPS unit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
your range will be fine. Im actually leaving sac on sunday to go to oregon...will be in my car tho but I can go from sac to just past redding before you get to shasta...or you can stop in redding which is less than 200 miles..and from there i dont stop till i get to oregon. All along I-5 are major towns which you will have no problem finding gas at at night. The longest part you will go thru without gas is thru the valley and yo uwill get thru there fine so you dont have anything to worry about

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are staying on I-5 and have a credit card you are golden. I have done all parts of I-5 at interesting hours and have always been able to find a pay at the pump station. Worry more about the horrendous flat spot you are going to end up with on your tires, various body parts going numb, and drinking enough water.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd still like to hear about some of the options for extra fuel though. Gas stations are often few and far between out on the prairies.

We do have hours and hours of this though:

·
Registered
97 Posts
You may want to check the sport-touring.net forums. A few people over there use MSR fuel bottles to extend their range.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i would go ahead and get the fuel bottle, if the money is not a big deal.  you absolutely do not want to walk your bike!

a 33oz MSR fuel bottle is about 1/4 gallon, so two of those bottles gives you another 30 miles of highway travel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your replies, it puts my mind at ease to know that I should be fine and many of you have already gone I-5 with no problems.

Yea, I figure I will end up buying some new tires afterwards, and already know that more than likely after I get back the first thing I will do is order a Corbin seat.

I will buy a fuel bottle though just in case. Like my mom always told me an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and it looks like the fuel bottles are cheap enough insurance just in case the worst should happen. Who knows maybe I might end up helping out some other poor sap who didn't stop at the last station.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like a boy scout, be prepared. And to apply another cliche, better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

A previous post mentioned the MSR fuel bottles you can get at a mountaneering shop. Although I have never taken one on the motorcycle, they do hold up quite well in the back pack so there should be no worries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts