Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1pc leather suit I wear for my trackdays and some Shift jeans with kevlar that I wear tooling around town and some shorter mountain runs. I have a pretty big trip coming up this summer so I'd like to get some decent textile pants to wear.

I've narrowed it down to 3 options. My main criteria are CE knee armor, waterproofing, venting options or the ability to ride comfortably in 60-90 deg weather, and "style." By style I really mean a loose fitting or cargo type style. I've had some textile pants in the past that were a very traditional cut that I found uncomfortable.

Fieldsheer:
http://www.newenough.com/protective...eldsheer/street_textile_motorcycle_pants.html
I like the cut, adjustable waist, waterproofing, price.

Shift Equator SS:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Shift_Equator_SS_Waterproof_Pant--617496.html
A nice looking alternative to the FS pants. The only plus I see to these are the pre-curved knees and the sealed seams/waterproof zippers. $15 more than FS.

Joe Rocket Atomic Pants:
http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/2364
Does that link work? If not this link should work and they are $110:
http://www.newenough.com/protective...e_rocket/atomic_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

Looks to offer great protection and has the ability to vent when the temps rise which is a huge bonus. Knee armor looks to be the best.

Anyone have experience with these pants and can throw in their 2 cents?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
To be comfortable in hot weather I recommend a lighter color. Two pants I like are the Olympia Airglide and Fieldsheer 4-season. Both are mesh pants with waterproof/insulated removable liner and are available in light colors to help keep you cool when when you're stopped.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've got the JR Ballistic 7.0 pants and like them a lot. They cost a bit more than the model you're looking at but only about $25 or so, nearly nothing over the long term. They don't have the removable panels but they do zip from the bottom and top so are easy to get in and out of without removing your boots, and you can leave the top zippers partially unzipped to provide some ventilation on hot days. They also have a removable waterproof liner in case you're stuck riding in the rain. But you'll want to use the waterproof liner ONLY in the rain because they make the pants much more bulky feeling and sweaty to wear. but the basic pants are very comfortable and don't look or feel as bulky in real life as in the pix. Also, they are all black instead of the 2 tones of the ones you are looking at. Many size options (both inseam and waist size) so you will be able to get a pair that fits you exactly. Just to give you an idea, I'm 6'1" and weigh 195 and the XL size fits me just right but someone 75 lbs heavier could probably wear them too. The waist is adjustable in the back so you can use one pair over just a pair of shorts, or over bulky pants and long underwear.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendations.

I should have put in my original post I'm 5'7", 155 lbs, and would wear about 31x30 jeans.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations.

I should have put in my original post I'm 5'7", 155 lbs, and would wear about 31x30 jeans.
I can't give specifics on those particular pants, but motorcycle superstore is having a closeout on fieldsheer stuff. Here is the link. I just purchased a pair of the four season mesh pants and like them a lot. I can give you a more detailed review if you want.

A note regarding fieldsheer pants. Order one size larger than you normally would. I typically wear 32 waist and the 34 waist fit me perfectly. They are a bit long, I'm 5'8, but once the boots are on and sitting on the bike, they fit well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Really, it's a little bit of a trick question IMO.

If you go with a textile pant that is waterproof by utilizing some type of "breathable" barrier like Gore Tex/Rainguard/etc (like the Fieldsheer pants you mentioned), the pants will probably NOT be very comfortable in temperatures above 80. If you choose a pant that has a removable waterproof liner, you end up having to deal with the inevitable pain of removing/installing the liner on the side of the road.

My advice would be that you should not expect 1 pair of textile pants to really "do it all" in the temp range you mentioned. Mesh pants are great for the airflow (I also picked up a pair of the Fieldsheer 4 season mesh pants), but waterproofing is obviously an issue, they aren't as protective, and they don't work so well in colder weather (duh). If it's at all possible, go with a pair of mesh pants (and rain overpants) for 75-80 degrees and warmer, and a pair of waterproof pants (using a waterproof/breathable barrier) for everything colder. Then you can also use the rain overpants and waterproof pants when it gets VERY cold. This will provide you with the flexibility you need, and if you shop carefully you can probably find a way to make it all happen for a pretty minimal cost difference....but then again, I'm very broke myself, so I can understand that there are budget limitations :).

I'd say check out the Fieldsheer sale at Motorcycle Superstore mentioned by the previous poster. They have some really good prices going on right now. Check out the Fieldsheer Booster pant too..that might fit what you're looking for, and last I checked Motorcycle Superstore had 'em for like $90.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just an FYI... The JR Phoenix pants run long, even if you get 'short'.

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I have a pair of the JR Alter Ego pants and they fit me perfectly in the 'standard' length. (They're similar to the Ballistic, but have a small removable panel that exposes a mesh vent across the thighs.) They're great. I've worn them from the 30s (w/o the liner) into the 90s, though they do get warm once into the mid-80s or so, so I bought a pair of the Phoenix pants over the winter in the 'short' length for when it's really hot (>80 or so). The knee pads on the Phoenix are a bit low, and I end up walking on the cuffs, which don't have a velcro cuff like the Alter Ego pants. They're OK when I'm on the bike, but off the bike the knee pads rub against my legs and knees and can get uncomfortable after a while. I'm also a bit peeved that the zipper on the Phoenix pants doesn't match the one on my Alter Ego and Ballistic jackets, so I can't mix and match my 'system'. :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good timing Lee, I was just about to post that I've added the JR Alter Ego into the mix. It's quite a bit more expensive @ $160:
http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/810

So with the panels removed on both the Alter Ego and the Atomic's which do you find more comfortable in the mid 80's? The Atomic's knee pads don't fit right for you... is there not enough adjustment?

If you were to buy one pair of pants to "do it all" which one would you choose?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Correction - My comments above were for the Phoenix all mesh pant, not the Atomic. Sorry for any confusion. It's my understanding that the Phoenix and Alter Ego are more of an 'overpant' that can be worn over street clothes, while the Atomic is more of a 'riding' pant that you don't wear shorts or jeans under. I prefer the over-pants, so I can take them off when I get to where I'm going, and have no personal experience with the Atomic pants.

Both the Alter Ego and the Phoenix pants have 2 'pockets' in the legs that hold the kneepads. On the Phoenix, because they're long, even the upper pocket isn't high enough for the kneepads to be in a comfortable position while standing/walking (they're OK when on the bike, though). I know this because I took the MSF ERC-2 course last weekend, and spent basically the entire day in the pants with the kneepads rubbing my legs while we were on the range. However, I didn't have any issue with the heat, and it was close to 90 degrees in the afternoon.

For an 'all-around' pair of overpants, I'd definitely recommend the Alter Ego 2.0. With more textile to them, there's a little more protection, but they willl be warmer when it's hot. I wore them all summer over a pair of shorts last year here in N. NJ, where we tend to have muggy hot summers that can break 100 degrees. When the weather was drier, they seemed to flow more air (with the panel removed and the liner out) and were fine, even if it was hot. But when it was muggy and over ~85, I would start to sweat and sometimes have the seat of my shorts soaked when I took them off. With the removable panel in place, they're fairly waterproof on thier own (though some water will still seep in around the zippers, etc...). With the liner in place, they'll stay even drier in the rain, and warmer (for better or worse). Like I said, I wore them riding down to about 40, and for short trips (30-45 min), they were fine for me on my naked SV over jeans even w/o the liners in the winter. The Phoenix pants will definitely be more comfortable once you start getting into the 80s, since they're basically all mesh, but won't keep you from getting wet when it's raining, and they won't do anything on thier own for wind protection, which may become an an issue below ~65 or so.

If you're only worried about riding up to ~90, and it doesn't get too muggy where you live, I would probably lean towards the Alter Ego 2.0 as an all-year-round, all-around pant. But, if you only ride during warmer weather in the 60-90 degree range, and don't care about the pants being waterproof, the Phoenix pants over shorts (or jeans when it's a bit on the cooler side) would probably be a better choice. But again, given your inseam lenght, you may want to order the 'short' inseam size, or check out some of the other brands of all mesh pants if you're leaning this way (like the Olympia styles that can be hemmed to fit).

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just did a 1500 mile trip in the JR Phoenix pants and Jacket. Temps ranged from low 60's in the am to 90's in the day. I am extremely happy with the pants. They are comfortable and easy to get in and out of. I would have liked a liner in case of rain, but I have some quality rain gear so it's not really that big of an issue.

I totally recommend them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have the olympia over pants....believe they are called air glide. i cannot speak for the liner in terms of waterproof but it does keep you warm with jeans under them......worn them in high 30 low 40 temp range. as far as rain concerns you can go with rain gear so you dont have to take the pants off to put the liner on.

in the 90+ degree high humidity they helped keep me cool as long as i wasnt stopped......the shop i got them in only had the black, i would have preferred the gray.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't like the Alter Ego when it's hot. Mine got way too warm for comfort. I'll probably get silver/gray Olympia Airglide pants or start wearing kevlar jeans.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Tourmaster Flex, no questions asked.

Includes two separate liners (one thin waterproof and the other thick coldproof) that can be used together or independently. Also incorporates two large removable panels that reveal wholly mesh pant. In other words, they're good for any riding condition. Fit is great (offered in short, regular, and tall inseams). CE-approved 3-position knee armor as well as hip padding.

I <3 mine.

By the way, they are sized to be over pants - meaning buy the same size as your jeans. I wear a 42/30 jean - purchased the 3XL (40/42) short inseam and couldn't be happier. The adjustable knee armor is a godsend...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts