Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(SOLD): Cortech Scarab Winter Gloves

Cortech Scarab winter glove SOLD!
Size: Large
Age & Condition: Great, bought new 1 year ago
Price: SOLD!
Description: These are an excellent sport winter glove in great condition. They felt broken in right after purchase. Never down, no rips or tears and all velcro works perfectly. It's got a lot of high-end protective and comfort features with the floating titanium/carbon knuckle armor, reinforced titanium/carbon panels on the fingers and wrist, 3M Thinsulate insulation and a soft fleece interior liner. It's warm without being too bulky and still offers plenty of tactile sensitivity with the goatskin palm. For three Jacksons, this is a great deal!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've worn them down to freezing before. Even with liners my fingers got pretty numb. Everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I'd say these gloves are most effective above 40 with liners. Any colder makes me break out the heated gear.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just did a little looking at the Drystar. Yes, I would say the Scarab compares pretty favorably to the Drystar gloves (I assume the current $95 model?). Both have a 3M Thinsulate liner (similar to Gore-Tex), full length leather guantlet with dual closure and multi-layer leather in the high impact zones. Pluses to the Scarab with the use of what they call the titanium/carbon panels on the floating knuckle armor, panels over the finger knuckles and the head of the ulna (outer wrist). As far as I can tell the A* only have foam padding and in not as many locations.

Another plus to the Scarab for sizing. I wear large in almost every glove manufacturer: Joe Rocket, Oylmpia, Fieldsheer, Cortech and Tourmaster (I've gone through a lot of gear...). The Scarabs fit perfect from day one. The floating knuckle armor and armadillo style finger leather layering make them very comfortable. Sizing seems a little hit or miss based on the user reviews of the Drystar. Fwiw, I love A* race gloves like the GP Plus and GP Pro.

After my accident 2 years ago I am very adamant all my gloves have decent wrist hard armor. The Drystars do not seem to have anything substantial. Not every glove does, but based on the damage my GP-Pros took in that fall I think I'd have a harder time typing if they didn't have the armor. The Scarabs do have that hard panel along the outside of each wrist.

-edit- sorry, long post. I'm a bit of gear whore if you can't tell...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts