Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my dealer doesnt have the "special tool" it says i need to remove my front wheel. but it looks like i can just get a hex head bit right? is it 12mm?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It's 12mm.
I bought a 12mm 1/2" drive socket at a specialty tool shop.
Most auto stores, Lowes, Sears etc. only carry allen keys and sockets up to 10mm.

You can buy a bolt with a 12mm head and lock two nuts together on it to make a cheaper tool if needed.
Welding the nuts to the bolt is optional.

·
Registered
308 Posts
hahah special tool. not sure i would trust a dealer that cant figure this one out. sears carries a 12 mm allen. its about 5 bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you could also buy a 12 mm bolt from lowes/**** depot and get someone with a torch to bend it for you, then if you need too you can use a cheater pipe over the threaded part of the bolt to loosen the axle. the bolts only a dollar, and just using two nuts to jam agianst eah other doesnt work ive tried it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks. i ended up having to hit up harbor freight in the ghetto to get the hex head bits. came right out.

and would you believe i was only in the store not 5 minutes but when i came out, there was a stinky bum sleeping in the bed of my truck? what a day.

oh and 72.5 ft-lbs cross threaded my rear axle nut. fcuking awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
oh and 72.5 ft-lbs cross threaded my rear axle nut. fcuking awesome.
IF the nut was started properly, how did it get cross threaded??

Do you mean 72.5 ft-lbs wiped out the threads, ie galled or destroyed them?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
...oh and 72.5 ft-lbs cross threaded my rear axle nut. fcuking awesome.
Yeah, that's a problem over in the V-Strom world too. 72 is too much for that bolt/nut, 55 is plenty.

Sprocket bolts are also overspec'd on torque, 25-30 is enough there instead of the 43 the manual calls for.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, it destroyed about 1cm of one thread, and about 2mm in another spot. must have happened last time i adjusted my chain (see other threads for my drama with that :rolleyes:) but i didnt notice it till i tried to remove my wheel to mount my new tires.

funny thing is it caught, and threaded off okay after just spinning for awhile. also, because the dealership had to order my new $97 axle and nut, i got frustrated and tried to re-use my damaged one.... threaded it on and off about 5 times to be sure and son of a beech it unfuxored itself!! lol WTF indeed!!

think i'm gonna stop at 60ft-lbs from now on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh absolutely, but it still has all the rest of the threads intact, and its cotter-pinned in. it will hold for a week of commuter duty. i hope :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts