Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the front bearings only had a seal on the right side, due to the left using the speedometer sending unit as the seal. I ask because I had my bearings redone and I think the mech may have put it on the wrong side ??? The seal is on the left side, with no seal on the right. I have a parts manual, but it doesn't break done the bearings. I also looked at www.ronayers.com, and searched the forum with no luck. I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately. KI just wanna make sure I do things right. All my motorcycle mech savvy friends have moved away, and yall are my only hope. Like Obi-Wan ;D Thanks again! -Mac

·
Registered
799 Posts
there is no seal at all on your bike. left side is speedo as you say and right side has spacer with metal shield attached to it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMMMM I'm guessing he made a mistake. There is a seal on the left side. So I should see bearing on both sides? It doesn't seem like that spacer would keep out any grime. Thanks for the help! -Mac

·
Registered
799 Posts
HMMMM I'm guessing he made a mistake. There is a seal on the left side. So I should see bearing on both sides? It doesn't seem like that spacer would keep out any grime. Thanks for the help! -Mac
it will not seal 100% but bearing itself is sealed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't think mine is sealed. I can see grease and balls. Wonder if he put in the wrong bearings? -Mac

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a red rubber seal on my riders right side. On the left, the speedo seals the bearings.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. So I need to take the wheel back to the shop to have the right side flipped. Like I said on the right side I see grease and balls, left side I see the black seal. If I remeber correctly when I took the wheel in to get new bearings right side I saw the thin red seal. Left side grerase and balls. Thanks again! -Mac

·
Registered
799 Posts
right for sure. left not so important if you using speedo drive.
is left black seal the one on bearing itself or in front of bearing?
post pic so we are sure you or us are not confused.

·
Registered
799 Posts
left is fine. when you first posted it sounded to me like there is seal in front of bearing.
right is wrong, either needs to be flipped or new if there is no seal on other side.
btw. is there spacer (tube) between bearings inside wheel, can't see on pic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is exactly why I try to do my own work. Pit Possee sells an awesome bearing removal tool. It is one of the best little gadget type tools I've bought. Putting new ones back in is a breeze, just stick them in the freezer for a bit and they will tap right in.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think i've heard that reusing bearings that have been knocked out is a bit iffy,you press bearings in by the outer race, which doesn't stress the bearings. I havn't done any bearing removal , but you have to push the spacer to the side and drive the bearing out by hitting the inner race,and i'd have to experience exactly how tight the bearings fit, to decide whether there's to much stress on the races perhaps the pressure from jolting the inner race in one spot to drive the bearing out ,it might do a bit of damage to the races or balls. If the bearings are old enough and rough enough that you notice it and decide they need repacking ,the bearings are pretty cheap and all the best grease in the world isn't gonna repolish the races or the balls ,so you might as well just get new ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is exactly why I try to do my own work. Pit Possee sells an awesome bearing removal tool. It is one of the best little gadget type tools I've bought. Putting new ones back in is a breeze, just stick them in the freezer for a bit and they will tap right in.
Which kit is the one I need? I'm no stranger to bearings, just the ones on the SV :p -Mac

·
Registered
744 Posts
Most likely what's happened is they used aftermarket bearings which have seals on both sides of the cartridge bearing. This is standard practice since the aftermarket bearings are cheaper, as good if not better quality, and are sealed on both sides.

If you want to check to make sure, take a razor blade and pop the seal out, and look through the bearing to see if there's a seal on the other side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts