Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new wheel bearing in my GSXR wheel, and have hit a bit of a problem. The inside of the hub tapers, and Suzuki says you need to install the left bearing first. Normally left and right is determined by sitting in/on the vehicle, but Suzuki decided to arbitrarily change that, so I accidently installed the "right" bearing first. It all looks ok, so I'm not sure why Suzuki wants the left bearing installed first. Does anyone know what's going on? Do I need to redo this?

Also, should you be able to move the spacer inside the hub?

T

·
0 Posts
you install one bearing(left as suzuki say)untill it bottoms out.than you put spacer in.other bearing will bottom against spacer,not rim.now your wheel will be centered.if you do it backwards your wheel will be off for little.
this is same reason that wheel is directional even tough if it was not for arrow on it you can't tell.
put wheel in forks,tighten axle to spec,take wheel off and check if spacer is lose.it is ok if you can push it but lose is not right.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're pushing the bearing in by it's outer race, and the inner race is going to bottom first, wouldn't that cause problems? I'm guessing you just go slowly and stop once you make contact with the spacer. I'm thinking for the right side I'll freeze the bearing and heat up the hub so I need to hammer it less.

T

·
0 Posts
zoltan said:
If you're pushing the bearing in by it's outer race, and the inner race is going to bottom first, wouldn't that cause problems? I'm guessing you just go slowly and stop once you make contact with the spacer. I'm thinking for the right side I'll freeze the bearing and heat up the hub so I need to hammer it less.
no if you go slow and dont keep hammering.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What year are you guys talkling about?

I have an 04 front wheel and both sides look the same to me, and I don't think I see any arrows. Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure I've installed it both sides too and it fit fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TWF, have you had any problems running aftermarket wheel bearings?

I may have been mixed up about the right/left thing. If you're installing new bearings refer to the following diagram:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts