Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a pit-bull stand. Right now I'm going to purchase just one and I'm trying to find out if it would be better to have a front stand or a rear stand. I would mostly be using this for normal bikle maintenance but I would also be interested in having a front one for chanigng the front fork springs, but that might not be for a while. So which would be more handy to have a front or rear? Also I'd be interested in getting one that I could use on a variatly of bikes so for a rear would it be better to get the pitbull rear standard/spooled stand? It's a little more expensive but then it would work on any spooled or standard bike. Same goes for the front, would it be better to get the forklift and converter combination front stand because then I could lift by the steering stem or fork if I wanted? Again it's a little more expensive but it seems like it would give me the most amount of options. Ultimately I need help mainly deciding front or rear. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
scknight said:
I'm looking to purchase a pit-bull stand. Right now I'm going to purchase just one and I'm trying to find out if it would be better to have a front stand or a rear stand. I would mostly be using this for normal bikle maintenance but I would also be interested in having a front one for chanigng the front fork springs, but that might not be for a while. So which would be more handy to have a front or rear? Also I'd be interested in getting one that I could use on a variatly of bikes so for a rear would it be better to get the pitbull rear standard/spooled stand? It's a little more expensive but then it would work on any spooled or standard bike. Same goes for the front, would it be better to get the forklift and converter combination front stand because then I could lift by the steering stem or fork if I wanted? Again it's a little more expensive but it seems like it would give me the most amount of options. Ultimately I need help mainly deciding front or rear. Thanks.
I believe you need the rear up on a stand first to use a front stand, I don't think the front stand can be used individually

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You've got it figured out

Anyway, that's what I think. It's always better to have something that's adaptable in case you change bikes or buy additional bikes or help friends work on their bikes.

And for front stands, the head stands are more useful, IMHO, since they free up the forks.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
RandyO said:
I don't think the front stand can be used individually
It can be done.
I got my rear stand first (spooled Pit)- you lube your chain and change your rear tire more than you mess w/the front. For the front I have a Pit front conversion stem stand. Getting the conversion stand would be best if you had to choose.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A front stand can be used by itself, but I definately recommend a rear first.

The purpose of a stand is allow you to do maintenance on a bike. The rear stand makes lubin' your chain MUCH easier, which is the main reason for buying it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ride_naked said:
RandyO said:
I don't think the front stand can be used individually
It can be done.
I got my rear stand first (spooled Pit)- you lube your chain and change your rear tire more than you mess w/the front. For the front I have a Pit front conversion stem stand. Getting the conversion stand would be best if you had to choose.
oh, there's no question, get a rear stand first,

I just never seen anyone use a front stand individually, and to me it seems like the stability would be questionable without having the rear on one first

I have a universal rear stand theat I rarely use and an EazyRizer lift

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
RandyO said:
I just never seen anyone use a front stand individually, and to me it seems like the stability would be questionable without having the rear on one first
It's stable- if I need to have it nuetral for some reason, I just stick a block behind the rear wheel to keep it from rolling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts