Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound stupid, but is it possible to swap out the upper components of the forks from an 02 or newer into my 01 to gain the ability to adjust preload? if so what all would be required to do this, as in what parts would i have to aquire? thanks

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Yes you can. Order the pre-load adjuster assembly and then install them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I believe you will have to measure the height difference between the adjustable caps and the non-adjustable ones and cut that out of the spacer. The '02 caps are $25ish each.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just the '02 caps.
I just completed this as part of a gold valve/spring install. In retrospect I would not do it again. Once you set the preload you're good. There's really not much reason to screw with it (pun intended).

I thought I would use them when riding two up or whatnot, but it's still too much of a PIA to adjust them.

Just cut your spacer right and don't bother with the adjusters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On this topic I've noticed my front suspension wearing down, especially when I ride with my gf on the back and I apply the front brake. It's an 01' with 51,000Km's on it. Do you think I need new forks or just to re-oil them?

·
Registered
580 Posts
On this topic I've noticed my front suspension wearing down, especially when I ride with my gf on the back and I apply the front brake. It's an 01' with 51,000Km's on it. Do you think I need new forks or just to re-oil them?
If you've never replaced the springs, replace them with something that is better. I don't really think they loose free length too much. I haven't really heard of it.

You need to change the oil and go to 20 weight. Compression damping can help but it's no substitute for proper spring rate, which it sounds like you don't have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts