Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I recently bought a 07 SV650S with 3,500 miles on it. I put on it about 1000 miles already since i bought it commuting to work. Yesterday while riding to work i went thru a few bumps and my front suspension was bottoming out, it maid a clunking sound when i hit the bumps. Now i know for a fact that the previous owner used to do wheelies on this bike so i think he damaged the front suspension.

Can you guys give me any advise of how to approach this issue. should i get new front forks?, should i rebuilt them? what should i do?

Thank you in advance.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Are they stock? How much do you weigh?

First of all, I would dismount them, disassemble them and inspect them. If everything seems to be fine (no broken/bent parts) I would just put new springs (more adequate to your weight), heavier oil and new seals. You shouldn't spend more than 120 bucks in all.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Hello

I recently bought a 07 SV650S with 3,500 miles on it. I put on it about 1000 miles already since i bought it commuting to work. Yesterday while riding to work i went thru a few bumps and my front suspension was bottoming out, it maid a clunking sound when i hit the bumps. Now i know for a fact that the previous owner used to do wheelies on this bike so i think he damaged the front suspension.

Can you guys give me any advise of how to approach this issue. should i get new front forks?, should i rebuilt them? what should i do?

Thank you in advance.
Are you sure it was bottoming out? It is not unusual for the springs to slap against the tubes when you hit a bump.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Yesterday while riding to work i went thru a few bumps and my front suspension was bottoming out,
It probably wasn´t really bottoming out. There´s even some part inside the forks which causes a hydro lock for the very last part of the travel preventing hard bottoming.
The "clunk" has been blamed to several sources, the brakes and headset bearings being the most common AFAIR.

it maid a clunking sound when i hit the bumps. Now i know for a fact that the previous owner used to do wheelies on this bike so i think he damaged the front suspension.
A friend of mine had leaking seals due to some wheelying, so I´d go with the advice of OreoGaborio anyway. And check your headset bearings, which also don´t like wheelies too much.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Put a small plastic strap around one of your fork tubes to see how far your forks are travelling. Mine used to clunk too and it wasn't due to bottoming out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for your help i will defenetly take a look at it. where can i buy the seals and springs and what type of oil do i need. i am a nooby when it comes to motorcycle machanics. any recomendations?

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Gregory, what happens if you sit on the bike and bounce the front up and down by pushing on the handlebars? Does it squish or does it clank?

If you are not seeing oil on your forks, the seals are probably OK.

Your weight is OK for the stock suspension and commuting.

It is very possible that nothing is wrong with your bike. Don't be in a hurry to dive into the suspension.

·
Registered
184 Posts
start simple.. rear stand in place, support the front end, ( I used a block and tackle) to hold the bike up (front wheel off the ground)..

Removed the fork caps!

slowly lower the bike down until it's at the bottom.. Are the forks contacting the tripple tree? did they bind (bent inners) run them up and down with the block and tackle, if there is a problem you will see it!

good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Except for David, everyone is recommending major surgery for a common issue that every stock SV has.

It is the springs slapping the inside of the slider tube. They are bending before compressing. It really is as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
You will hear the forks make some noise over sharp bumps, but they're probably OK, the noise is normal.

If you don't see oil on the fork tubes, then forget changing the seals.

I can guarantee you that the forks would benefit from fresh fork oil. In my experience, 15wt is a good choice for 2nd gens. The oil from the factory is not very good when new. Fresh oil will give better fork action, IMO.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Motorcycle stores will have specific fork oils in various weights.
It has different properties and additives than motor oil.
Belray and Silkolene are a couple of the more well known brands.

I'm of the group that believes that the clanging on your bike is spring slap, so no remedial actions are imperative.
It would be a good thing to change the oil when or if you have the time or inclination to get a round tuit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I noticed the same rattling and banging riding over larger bumps. No issues after replacing stock springs with Sonic units (that, and fresh fork oil).

Except for David, everyone is recommending major surgery for a common issue that every stock SV has.

It is the springs slapping the inside of the slider tube. They are bending before compressing. It really is as simple as that.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's normal with stock set-up. I've had two SV's and they've both made the same noise when I hit a man hole cover or a aggressive bump in the road. My buddy has a sv and his does they same thing. My bike currently has 16,000 miles. Like they said as long as your fork seals are ok and you don't see any leaking fluid your fine. Ride and enjoy!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Easiest test that hasn't been mentioned yet...

Throw a zip-tie around one of the upper fork legs. When the forks compress, the lower fork leg will push the zip tie up, showing you how much travel you're using. If the zip-tie's not within 1/2 an inch or so of the lower triple clamp then they're probably not bottoming out.

I wouldn't be surprised if your forks needed servicing anyway though, especially if it's been a few years since it was last done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine also did the same thing, I put 0.85 kg/mm springs and new fork oil in the front (10 wt I think) and it quit. As has been mentioned, new fork oil would be a good thing no matter what, and if you're taking the forks apart for new oil you might as well replace the springs. I'm about your size and weight and the 0.85 springs work well for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts