Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought my 2005 SV650S a couple months back and I have noticed something that bothers me a bit when I'm driving it. First off when I brake the front brake is either slightly engaged or fully engaged, the best way to describe it is when you press on the hand lever that there's a point where it sticks and then if you press a little bit more it just drops the front end. Any ideas how to fix that? The pads are in good shape, as are the rotors.

Next question. When I do hit the brake how do I get the front end a little bit stiffer so that it doesn't just drop down and nearly bottom out every time. I find myself using the rear brake and engine braking much more than I should be. Any tips or re-directions to other places in this forum would be very helpful. I didn't really want to start a new thread for this but I was having trouble coming up with ideas on what to search.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You want to read threads on fork springs and fork oil for your riding wgt and style of riding. The SV is softly sprung for most and does exhibit a fair amount of dive when braking. You want to squeeze the lever never jab at the brakes, but it sounds like you need to change your fork spring rate and fork oil to something stiffer so that your braking will not cause the forks to dive so much.

Rich Desmond is a member and vendor here who can help you with figuring out what springs and oil would be best for you.

You can wade through this older thread to see what can be done for improving the forks. http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27942

Just search for fork spring rates, fork upgrades, etc. A great deal of info on the forum. Depends upon how much you want to spend and how much work you want to do.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Better springs and new fork oil will help a lot. You should also lube the the brake lever pivot, sounds like it's sticking a little.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So, I bought my 2005 SV650S a couple months back and I have noticed something that bothers me a bit when I'm driving it. First off when I brake the front brake is either slightly engaged or fully engaged, the best way to describe it is when you press on the hand lever that there's a point where it sticks and then if you press a little bit more it just drops the front end. Any ideas how to fix that? The pads are in good shape, as are the rotors.
This could be once of two things.

First, it's common for these bike to get a "jerky" feel in the brake lever when the point where the brake lever presses against master cylinder piston needs cleaning/lubing. Take off the brake lever by undoing the nut and flat-head screw the lever pivots on (it's simple). When that's done, you'll see the circular "tail" of the master cylinder piston surrounded by a rubber boot. Give this a cleaning (odds are, its pretty filthy) and dab on a bit of grease. It shouldn't take you long to figure out how the lever presses against this section and why you want to keep the friction low. Reassemble and make sure everything is tightened. Give the brake a few squeezes and I bet your problem is fixed.

Second, it could be sticky pistons down in the caliper, but I suggest first going with what I outlined above as it will take only 5 minutes of your time to test.

A brake bleed on that bike is probably well past due, so go ahead and do that as well whenever you get the chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts