Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm going to upgrade the front fork internals on my 2020 SV650 and have purchased the Woodcraft Front Stand:

I ordered it with the wrong pin size (24mm) based on their chart. It's far too big. Anyone know the correct size that works?

Also, My SV650 has a rubber "grommet?" that is inside the hole that the pin goes into. I don't need to remove that correct?

Thanks for any advice.

Burt

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
24mm is the correct size if you remove the rubber grommet.
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the reply.

Really? Ok, so just pull the grommet out and insert the pin? It seems like it's glued in there.
I have the service manual and there's nothing on it either.

I'll go try and remove the grommet.

Burt

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
118 Posts
I unfortunately (linked below) have first hand experience with the wrong sized pin, it's definitely a 24mm, I measured and have all the different sized pins now. I just ended up buying the set Geo linked in the post below. My grommet wasn't glued, just a nice very snug fit.

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I unfortunately (linked below) have first hand experience with the wrong sized pin, it's definitely a 24mm, I measured and have all the different sized pins now. I just ended up buying the set Geo linked in the post below. My grommet wasn't glued, just a nice very snug fit.

Akkk... you're right. I just did as you mentioned and it came out with just a bit of effort.
Now the 24mm pin I ordered fits in there perfectly.
I'm a stupid-head.

That was a great thread you wrote on this issue back in May. Well done.

FYI:
I have a rear stand, but this is my first front stand. As I mentioned, I'm going to use the stand to remove both front forks and deliver them to the suspension guys here in Scotts Valley.
I'll use the service manual and go step by step.

They will be installing these:

I hope the bike will be stable while on the front and rear stands for that time.

Hopefully, I can use my new stand to tackle other maintainence chores as well, such as the front brakes.

Burt

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Akkk... you're right. I just did as you mentioned and it came out with just a bit of effort.
Now the 24mm pin I ordered fits in there perfectly.
I'm a stupid-head.

That was a great thread you wrote on this issue back in May. Well done.

FYI:
I have a rear stand, but this is my first front stand. As I mentioned, I'm going to use the stand to remove both front forks and deliver them to the suspension guys here in Scotts Valley.
I'll use the service manual and go step by step.

They will be installing these:

I hope the bike will be stable while on the front and rear stands for that time.

Hopefully, I can use my new stand to tackle other maintainence chores as well, such as the front brakes.

Burt
Could just use a smaller pin (Gen 2 is 16mm) and left the o-ring/grommet/whatever it is/ in place. As long as the pin is in the hole, it's all good. And yes, the bike will be stable on both stands.. ;)

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
118 Posts
Ah, good to know. Thanks.
Just use the 24mm and remove the grommet, I don't want you to have to catch a bike in your lap like I did because of a similar situation. It's been rock solid since the swap to the 24mm, I don't think you'll have to worry at all. If you are worried, there was a few "hang it from the rafters with ratchet straps" ideas that were quite cheap as an added peace of mind.

Those cartridges looks really nice, I bet they will feel great.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Just use the 24mm and remove the grommet, I don't want you to have to catch a bike in your lap like I did because of a similar situation. It's been rock solid since the swap to the 24mm, I don't think you'll have to worry at all. If you are worried, there was a few "hang it from the rafters with ratchet straps" ideas that were quite cheap as an added peace of mind.

As long as there's a pin in the steering stem and the rear is on a stable paddock stand, it's not going anywhere. If you have to "catch it in your lap", you did something besides the front stand pin wrong. The rear stand stabilizes the bike, the front just lifts the front end off the ground. Pulling that grommet thing every time you want to lift the front end (I have mine on the stands several times per summer) would be a PITA.

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Will do. Since this is the first time doing this, I was a bit worried, hence my reaching out for help.
Now just waiting for the cartridges to arrive from Sweden. Should be soon; it's already been a month since I ordered them.

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
118 Posts
As long as there's a pin in the steering stem and the rear is on a stable paddock stand, it's not going anywhere. If you have to "catch it in your lap", you did something besides the front stand pin wrong. The rear stand stabilizes the bike, the front just lifts the front end off the ground. Pulling that grommet thing every time you want to lift the front end (I have mine on the stands several times per summer) would be a PITA.
"As long as there's a pin in the steering stem and the rear is on a stable paddock stand, it's not going anywhere."

That's not really true and I linked a previous thread with enough details and photos to prove it's not true. If the pin is too small it can move around in the yolk and deform at the ends and slip out from something as minor as bumping the handlebar.

Pulling the grommet out on my Gen3 takes less than 5 seconds and it doesn't need to be replaced if you don't want to, not sure if it has a function on a 2009.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
"As long as there's a pin in the steering stem and the rear is on a stable paddock stand, it's not going anywhere."

That's not really true and I linked a previous thread with enough details and photos to prove it's not true. If the pin is too small it can move around in the yolk and deform at the ends and slip out from something as minor as bumping the handlebar.

Pulling the grommet out on my Gen3 takes less than 5 seconds and it doesn't need to be replaced if you don't want to, not sure if it has a function on a 2009.
Lol, no.. The pin is an inch and a half long going up into the steering stem, it's not going to "slip out from something as minor as bumping the handlebar". You're going to have to lift the front of the bike over that 1.5 inches to get it to come out.
And another no for it "deforming". It's hardened steel, you would have a hard time deforming it with a hammer.
Yeah, it would be ideal to use the correct pin, and if it's the only bike you'll ever have, it's good. Otherwise, if it's noticeably small, just use a washer over the pin to rest on the bottom of the stem. I've used the same pin for several bikes now, the only exception being the Ducati which took a 35+mm pin. Bought one for it, now it's laying in the tool box, never to be used again.. 😝

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
118 Posts
Lol, no.. The pin is an inch and a half long going up into the steering stem, it's not going to "slip out from something as minor as bumping the handlebar". You're going to have to lift the front of the bike over that 1.5 inches to get it to come out.
And another no for it "deforming". It's hardened steel, you would have a hard time deforming it with a hammer.
Yeah, it would be ideal to use the correct pin, and if it's the only bike you'll ever have, it's good. Otherwise, if it's noticeably small, just use a washer over the pin to rest on the bottom of the stem. I've used the same pin for several bikes now, the only exception being the Ducati which took a 35+mm pin. Bought one for it, now it's laying in the tool box, never to be used again.. 😝
Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen and as I already said, I has happened to me.

Pictures of the pin supplied by the company after the front end dropped into my lap from barely moving the handlebars. I'm not going to the garage to take pictures of the yolk, it's 5C out and I already posted one in the linked thread.

Cloud Wood Gesture Finger Thumb

Gesture Finger Thumb Adhesive Nail

Wood Gesture Finger Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Material property

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen and as I already said, I has happened to me.

Pictures of the pin supplied by the company after the front end dropped into my lap from barely moving the handlebars. I'm not going to the garage to take pictures of the yolk, it's 5C out and I already posted one in the linked thread.

View attachment 63458
View attachment 63459
View attachment 63457
View attachment 63460
Guessing you didn't have it in the steering stem. Falling off the stand would indicate it was barely resting on the top of the pin at the edge of the bottom triple. If the pin was in the steering stem at all, there's no way it could come out under the weight of the bike.
I've gotta call user error on that one..

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
118 Posts
Guessing you didn't have it in the steering stem. Falling off the stand would indicate it was barely resting on the top of the pin at the edge of the bottom triple. If the pin was in the steering stem at all, there's no way it could come out under the weight of the bike.
I've gotta call user error on that one..
That would be an incorrect guess, one you actually don't even have to make. The pin has the deformation on the tip from where it slipped out and a deformation on the exact opposite side where the pin would be fully seated in the yolk. I'm sure you will just keep disagreeing despite not having a leg to stand on, so this is my last reply on the thread.

Burt, sorry your thread got so weird. You have the correct sized pin, use it.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
That would be an incorrect guess, one you actually don't even have to make. The pin has the deformation on the tip from where it slipped out and a deformation on the exact opposite side where the pin would be fully seated in the yolk. I'm sure you will just keep disagreeing despite not having a leg to stand on, so this is my last reply on the thread.

I don't have to disagree anymore, I know what happened. I've been using pin stands for almost 20 years on a dozen different bikes, I know how they work, and don't work. Blaming the tool for the user's error is a common thing, you wouldn't be the first one.;)

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki SV650 ABS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

You got it. No trouble at all. I appreciated MOHillbilly comments as well.
I now feel ready and excited to tackle this project. Without the bike falling over on me!

What a helpful and talented group of people in the SV community. It's great to be a part of it.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
You got it. No trouble at all. I appreciated MOHillbilly comments as well.
I now feel ready and excited to tackle this project. Without the bike falling over on me!

What a helpful and talented group of people in the SV community. It's great to be a
Just watch closely that you get the pin all the way in the hole. The downside of the "correct size" pin, it's a tight fit and will have to be exactly straight to slide into the stem. May take a little bit of jiggling at first and be careful not to scratch your fender (I lay a rag over it until I get the stand up, then again when coming down). It's all a bit easier with an N than it is with an S or any other sport bike, but still needs a close look as you're going up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts