Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been looking through the forums but couldn't find an answer, I apologize if this is a "re-question" that i missed somewhere.

Anyway, I have an 04 SV650 that I'd like to upgrade the suspension on (as frugally as possible) I'm about 215lbs and was looking into the ZX14 rear shock, but came across some 1.o fork springs on Ebay from an 02'. My question is: Is there a difference between the 1st Gen front fork springs and the 2nd Gen fork springs? (more specifically would these fork springs work in my 04'?)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Between Sonic Springs and Racetech both have the same part numbers for all gens so I would assume w/ this info they would work just fine. But it wouldn't hurt to give Rich at Sonic an e-mail and ask him

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hi all, I have been looking through the forums but couldn't find an answer, I apologize if this is a "re-question" that i missed somewhere.

Anyway, I have an 04 SV650 that I'd like to upgrade the suspension on (as frugally as possible) I'm about 215lbs and was looking into the ZX14 rear shock, but came across some 1.o fork springs on Ebay from an 02'. My question is: Is there a difference between the 1st Gen front fork springs and the 2nd Gen fork springs? (more specifically would these fork springs work in my 04'?)

Thanks for your help!

No difference between 1st and 2nd gen springs. (Aftermarket springs that is, the stock ones are slightly different) The 1.0s will be a little stiff for you, depending on your riding style you would ideally use either a 0.90 or 0.95. Even a little stiff though they will be a big improvement over stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys! The 1.0 springs were just a good deal, they will probably be a bit stiff for me but would still be way better than the stock soft front end I have on it now.

If i use a different weight fork oil will that take a bit of the stiffness out of the 1.0 fork springs?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! The 1.0 springs were just a good deal, they will probably be a bit stiff for me but would still be way better than the stock soft front end I have on it now.

If i use a different weight fork oil will that take a bit of the stiffness out of the 1.0 fork springs?
Yes, but at the cost of a shortage of rebound damping. Generally you don't do yourself any favors by going this route. I.e., one parameter's not quite right so I'll move a slightly related parameter in the opposite direction.
Best to keep things balanced and just accept that it's going to be a little stiffer than ideal. Only change that really makes sense is to run the fork oil a little lower.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Break down, guys!! Rich's Springs are a pi$$ in the bucket cost wise when brand new from him! Get the ones you really should have. There is scarcely a mod that you will do that will have such an impact on the performance and feel of your bike. You just don't realize how sh!tty the OEM suspension is till you put in the new and correct springs for your weight.

RevrdMark, I'm virtually the same weight as you and I am running the .90 for street use which is what both Sonic and Racetech's data showed was correct. They are awesome! I did the Emu's, too. Best money spent out of the thousands that I have put into my '03 SVS

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Break down, guys!! Rich's Springs are a pi$$ in the bucket cost wise when brand new from him! Get the ones you really should have. There is scarecly a mod that you will do that will have such an impact on the performance and feel of your bike. You just don't realize how sh!tty the OEM suspension is till you put in the new and correct springs for your weight.
+ Avogadro's number

·
Registered
467 Posts
there are slight differences between the stock springs of the two generations, but the aftermarket springs are the same between generations.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rich has hit it with both his comments: the springs might be a touch stiff for you, but they'll be a big improvement over stock (0.72, iirc); and the best 'coping mechanism' would be to lower the fork oil level a tad (to give more compliance). btw, i weigh 185 outa the shower and i'm on 0.90s - i was a bit worried they'd be stiff for me, but my local suspension guy assured me otherwise, and i've been VERY pleased so far - forks are now well controlled, and the ride is NOT harsh.
p.s. i've got the emulators in too... and my air gap is 125mm, which is (as Rich mentioned) probably just a tad 'extra'... combo is working superbly...
cheers,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys, I ended up buying new springs from Sonic, I emailed the Ebay guy and they were a little more "used" than I wanted. So they are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I know this started out as a spring question for the front but I am also putting on a 08' ZX14 shock on the rear. Any advise or links as to how to adjust that shock?

Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts