Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to kill the previous owner who over torqued and rounded off nearly every goddamed bolt on this bike.

Any suggestions on how to get this bolt out? I've got a bolt-out set, but the **** thing is so over torqued it's slipping. I've gotten all the others loose, except that one.

Also, I'm going to need a new bolt.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I'm going to kill the previous owner who over torqued and rounded off nearly every goddamed bolt on this bike.

Any suggestions on how to get this bolt out? I've got a bolt-out set, but the **** thing is so over torqued it's slipping. I've gotten all the others loose, except that one.

Also, I'm going to need a new bolt.

Later,
Chrome...
When all else fails just drill it out. With a left handed bit if you can find one.

It is a pain working on a bike after someone else has screwed it all up first. :(

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a pain working on a bike after someone else has screwed it all up first. :(
Yes, yes it is. I was contemplating drilling it out right off the bat, then I found out I can't order a new caliper mounting bracket by itself should I screw up.

Brake pads and tires came in today and I can't even get them on because of one bolt.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
You can try grinding two opposing flat faces on the bolt then attach a set of locking pliers on it and then beat the shi(r)t out of it with a rubber mallet until it releases.

Or try filing the facets down enough with a small file to be able to fit an 11mm socket over it.

Or 13mm. I forget whether those bolts have 12 or 14 heads.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
With rounded bolts, i have cut the head off of another bolt, welded it to the stuck one, and then backed it out...

Course this doesnt help if you do not have a welder, but its an option...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ding dong the witch is dead!

Hand impact driver + bolt out + 4 lb hammer + 15 minutes of solid hits (seriously) = bolt is out.

And guess what, the dealer I ***** about not having anything in stock had two caliper mounting bolts in stock! This thing will be halfway together tomorrow and definitely ready to ride this weekend.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ding dong the witch is dead!

Hand impact driver + bolt out + 4 lb hammer + 15 minutes of solid hits (seriously) = bolt is out.

And guess what, the dealer I ***** about not having anything in stock had two caliper mounting bolts in stock! This thing will be halfway together tomorrow and definitely ready to ride this weekend.

Later,
Chrome...
Gratz on getting the bolt out.

So now you just have a bent fork after all that hammering? :nana:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure as hell hope I don't!

But seriously, a hand impact driver delivers peak 200 ft lbs. I don't really think I could have hit it much harder. REALLY makes me wonder exactly how much torque was put on it.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red Loctite + gorilla-torqued maybe?
That's what I was thinking when I was taking it off, but there was no evidence of loctite on the bolt or in the threads of the bracket. It was just gorilla torqued with the help of a small Asian elephant. And don't forget, when you do over torque a metric bolt, it's required you round off the bolt by using a SAE12 pt socket.

Good news is, I've removed almost all the damaged bolts on the bike now. Bad news is I'll find more at the least opportune time.

Later,
Chrome...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts