Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 sv650s that i have just finished doing a gsxr fork swap. the front is from a 2004 gsxr 600, with radial brakes. i took it out for a spin tonight to see how it worked. i came to the third stop sign and the front brake started to get realy hard. i went to take off again and the front brakes were stuck on. the brake lever was realy hard and the engine couldn't even get the bike to move. after pumping the brakes several times the lever was so hard it wouldn't even move. i let some brake fluid out of one of the bleeders and the lever loosened up. i rode the bike home and it seemed to work fine after that.

The weather is starting to get better i'd like to ride the bike but this is very weird. anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
By opening the bleeder and it released the pressure proved it is the master cylinder and not the calipers that is causing the problem. Something is not letting it release pressure. Is the lever the right one and not damaged so it is retracting all the way when released?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lines appear to be straight and don't look like they have any obvious problems. if the master cylinder was the problem then after releasing the brake fluid pressure through one of the bleeders the lever wouldn't have gone back to normal, it would have still stayed stuck, no? the lever also was stuck in the normaly released position, not as if it were pulled in. also it just occured to me that when i opened the bleeder fluid didn't squirt out like it does when bleeding, it just dribbled.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
The lines appear to be straight and don't look like they have any obvious problems. if the master cylinder was the problem then after releasing the brake fluid pressure through one of the bleeders the lever wouldn't have gone back to normal, it would have still stayed stuck, no? the lever also was stuck in the normaly released position, not as if it were pulled in. also it just occured to me that when i opened the bleeder fluid didn't squirt out like it does when bleeding, it just dribbled.
If the lever is stuck in the released position and the pads are grabbing the rotors then the system is holding pressure. If you open a bleeder it releases the pressure, even if you just see a dribble. Check the pic of a car master cylinder. It has 2 circuits for safety. Check the pink one on the right. The piston must come all the way back when the lever is released to expose the fluid intake and return port. If something is wrong with the lever and it can't then it will not release the pressure. If the piston was stuck in the bore you would still get free play in the lever. If your lever is pumping up harder than normal and the brakes are dragging then that port is not being exposed because the piston is being held from retracting all the way or something is blocking it from releasing the pressure. The more the brakes are used and the fluid heats up the worse it will get.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
What kinda lever do you have? There was an issue like this caused by those emgo ebay levers, the ones for the gsxr and sv were'nt letting the plunger all the way out on the mc when you let off the brakes and after about 12 pulls they would lock the brakes solid...it's something to look at.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a fleabay lever, it seamed to fit fine and blead ok with it. I'll switch to the oem one and see if it changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rode the bike today with the fleabay lever on it and after a number of stops the brakes got stuck on again. I walked home and got some tools. by the time I got back, about five minutes, the brakes were unstuck. I switch to the oem lever and rode it for a while and it hasn't come back yet. I'm going to monitor it and hope for the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts