Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I took the forks off my Gladius (same as the 2g SVs), and all was well up to the point of trying to pump out the old fork fluid. On one fork, I can pull the rod (component #14 in the diagram) in and out fairly easily (with a small amount of resistance towards the bottom of the stroke); however, on the other fork (right hand one) it takes significantly more force to move the rod. I need to wedge the fork between the wall and one foot standing on it, and it still almost will not move. Next, I removed the bottom two bolts (previous owner seems to have messed with them, causing a leak; They're component #10 in the diagram) and the previously impossible to move fork now can't even keep extended and is completely loose. When I re-insert the bolt, the rod now ceases to move at all. Furthermore, on the other "normal" feeling shock, when I removed the bolt, the damping cylinder (components 11, 12, and 13 in the diagram) just fell out. Any ideas what these irregularities are from? Do I need new forks? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pic of the fork components:

·
Registered
48 Posts
#15 is the bushing that slides and guides the the tube #14. for some reason it's not sliding freely inside the lower leg # 23.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the bushing and the area it slides in the lower leg. Was there oil in the right fork when you opened it up?

·
Registered
48 Posts
the bolt #10 screws into #12 if it slides freely with the bolt out. think you need to disassemble to check for damage.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Problem is #6, it is plastic and will grow and stick inside tube. Just get rid of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#15 is the bushing that slides and guides the the tube #14. for some reason it's not sliding freely inside the lower leg # 23.
the bolt #10 screws into #12 if it slides freely with the bolt out. think you need to disassemble to check for damage.
Thank you for the recommendations. After pulling the forks apart a little further, I found the bushing #15 had scored up the #14 tube pretty badly, so I'm just grabbing a new pair of forks (they're pretty darn cheap from all the gsxr front end swaps)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a problem with the bushing and the area it slides in the lower leg. Was there oil in the right fork when you opened it up?
Funnily enough there was only half the oil capacity in the right fork and no oil in the left fork. You were right about the bushing. It scored up the tube pretty badly, so I just picked up some new shocks for cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts