Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 145lb+gear and want forks more like on my old bike with cartridge forks. Most people I talked to said to get the fork swap and not worry about emulators. I used the racetech calculator and it recomends 0.72 weight springs, stock are 0.7. Would a 0.8 progressively coiled spring be worth my investment or should I buy the emulators instead? I'm doing the oil swap this week, but I know its not going to get me to the point where I'm happy with it. I guess I'm wondering which would give me a bigger performance gain, oil and new springs or oil and emulators with stock springs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read thorugh that. It doesn't answer my questions.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Depends on how much like cartridge forks you're looking for. If you just want them to have a little more control and have firmer low-speed damping, then you might get by with just thicker oil. If you want more balanced compression/rebound damping then the emulators will help. If you want them to feel just like cartridge forks, there's no substitute for actual cartridge forks, so you're looking at a fork swap. It's not a good comparison to have correct springs and oil vs. incorrect springs and emulators. You should have correct springs regardless as a starting point. Add thicker oil and you might be happy. Add emulators and you might be even happier. Some people swear they can't tell the difference with emulators vs. not. For me, it was a big difference and very noticeable on the track. Going to a properly set-up GSXR front end was like a whole new bike, much more precise front end feel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure the stock springs ARE wrong for me. I'm getting different results depending on which calculator I use. Racetech recomends 0.72 which is damn close to stock(0.7) and the lowest they offer is 0.8. Sonic Springs recomends 0.8 to 0.85 depending if I select street or agressive street riding style. So my question is are stockers good springs for my weight(140-145lb) in which case i'll invest in emulators; or are they too soft, and I should get spings first?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I'd stick with your tock springs and set the pre-load. Definitely do the oil...
Try the emulators, if you then decide that you *have* to have cartridge forks you can always sell the emulators & damper rods and the forks. Selling them would probably cover most of the cost of a GSXR front end swap...

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm 170 LBS and I went to .85 springs and 20 wt oil. LOVE the setup. I don't think .80 would be to much for you at all! Stock is WAY soft! Stock is actually around .67.

·
Registered
606 Posts
ton said:
I'm not sure the stock springs ARE wrong for me. I'm getting different results depending on which calculator I use. Racetech recomends 0.72 which is damn close to stock(0.7) and the lowest they offer is 0.8. Sonic Springs recomends 0.8 to 0.85 depending if I select street or agressive street riding style. So my question is are stockers good springs for my weight(140-145lb) in which case i'll invest in emulators; or are they too soft, and I should get spings first?
We can make you a set of .73 or .75 or .78 springs if you think that is what you want. .80 is probably a good choice. 20 wt oil and emulators are a good choice as well. :D

T

·
0 Posts
ton said:
I guess I'm wondering which would give me a bigger performance gain, oil and new springs or oil and emulators with stock springs?
oil and springs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try 20 wt oil before tossing 70-80 on springs that might help, might not. In my opinion, don't even bother with the emulators. If yer gonna spend that kinda money try to find a gixxer front end on ebay for around 300 or so, instead of "emulating" cartidge forks, you'll have 'em.

At 145 lbs unless you wear a cast iron helmet, and carry 10 pounds of books in a back pack you oughta be pretty close on the springs.

BTW, in my experience Suzuki just kinda threw oil at the forks when they assembled them, the stuffs like water and I can guarantee each leg has a different amount in them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts