Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a scary sound coming from my front end that I can describe as "bone crunching" whenever the bike is moving, particularly if I turn or lean the bike, or I hit a bump or dip.

I really thought it was the front suspension. I disassembled forks and put fresh oil and seals. Sound was still there. I bought another set of used forks (off a '02 @5400km, still looks brand spankin new) and put fresh oil. Same sound is still there! I can confidently say it's not the front forks :eek:ccasion14:

What else should I look at?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Wheel bearings, or maybe headstock bearings?

Are the wheel spacers correctly installed?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, wheel spacers are correctly installed. The bike handles fine. Just the frightening sound gives me the chills when I ride.

How do I inspect the bearings? Just take the wheel off and see if there's any play with my fingers?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Yes, check for roughness while spinning the bearings with two fingers inserted. To check the head bearings, you will need to jack the front end off the ground from under the engine. You grab the forks above the calipers and try to move them fore and aft. Move the bars from side to side and feel for roughness and valleys(detents) in the races. To check the lower stem bearing you need to position a block of wood under the tire and load the lower bearing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I mentioned, aside from the sound, the bike still handles fine. In case I'm waiting for parts to ship (eg. bearings, etc.). Is it ok to ride bike in this condition?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I would start by raising the front and spinning the front wheel. Does it turn freely or does it feel notchy or gritty? Do you hear any noise? Also turn the wheel side-to-side and check for the same feelings and noises from the headstock.

If you can isolate the problem to either of both areas, it may be that they are just dry and need some grease. Get some general purpose automotive grease from the auto parts store.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As I mentioned, aside from the sound, the bike still handles fine. In case I'm waiting for parts to ship (eg. bearings, etc.). Is it ok to ride bike in this condition?
If it's bearings - whether steering stem or wheel - I would NOT ride it if I were you...

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Could it be something loose? Rattling around inside the fairing?

I assume you pumped the front, spun the wheel, turned the handlebars, and everything else you can do while in a garage to simulate riding conditions.

Take a video of it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, it looks like the brake rotor. It's a floating rotor and the disc was really loose! It was also at it's service limit.

I've put in a new rotor but it seems to be dragging against the brake pads. Can you tell me if this is normal:
http://youtu.be/W8wyFW1yCUg

Can I ride it like this?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Ok, it looks like the brake rotor. It's a floating rotor and the disc was really loose! It was also at it's service limit.

I've put in a new rotor but it seems to be dragging against the brake pads. Can you tell me if this is normal:
http://youtu.be/W8wyFW1yCUg

Can I ride it like this?
That sound is not normal nor is the drag. Way too loud, should be a slight shooshing sound. Something is not right with the re-install.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I changed both rotors.

I guess I need to check the runout of the rotors and the wheels to make sure both are not warped.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ugh, calipers were seized. Took a few tries with the air compressor (on high pressure!) to get those pistons out. Ordered new dust&piston seals and rebuilt the calipers. Wheel turns smooth as butter now.

Hopefully the bone crunch sound is sorted out after this!

·
Registered
920 Posts
i used a small block of wood and a c clamp to force the piston back into the caliper JUST enough to allow the rotor to fit b/w the pad and bolt everything back in. hopefully you can do the same!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i used a small block of wood and a c clamp to force the piston back into the caliper JUST enough to allow the rotor to fit b/w the pad and bolt everything back in. hopefully you can do the same!
I had to rebuild my calipers. The seals were pinched and sticking out and dirt got inside. Tried dumping the seals in recently boiled water to see if it would right itself but they were shot. Had to replace seals with new.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dammit! That sound is still there! I'm starting to think it's not the front.

Could it be the swingarm? How do I check? I'm guessing I need to get weight off the swingarm & rear wheel somehow so I can check free play...

Is it relatively safe to keep riding if it's the swingarm? I've been out of it for a bit and I use it for commuting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts