Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what's the easiest / most cost effective way to improve the front suspension on the ole 2000 SV? I only weigh 145 pounds if that matters. Thanks for any advice. The noob. :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
probably the cheapest thing to do is swap the springs and change the fork oil to a heavier weight.

i just ordered that stuff for my '05 and it was just over $100 shipped. that's not too bad as long as you can do the work yourself.

you could just only change out the oil to a heavier weight if you really wanted to go cheap. but if you're going to go that far you might as well slide in some new springs.

after that is going up to cartridge emulators. and then the gsxr fork swap.

go here to get the everything except the gsxr fork. www.sonicsprings.com

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Is there a way to know which spring would be the best for my weight? Oh, and is it hard to do yourself?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So should I assumethat the deficiency with the stock forks is their lack of stiffness?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
pslamp32 said:
So should I assumethat the deficiency with the stock forks is their lack of stiffness?
Yes. That and they are non-cartridge conventional forks. You're in a great weight zone... most bikes are sprung from the factory for 140ish.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
pslamp32 said:
...what's the easiest / most cost effective way to improve the front suspension on the ole 2000 SV? I only weigh 145 pounds if that matters. Thanks for any advice. The noob. :)
What is your complaint,(what exactly are you trying to fix?) the stock springs should be right for you at that weight?

·
Registered
722 Posts
At 145 you are, from what I've read, on the edge of OK for the stock spring rates. I'd agree with the post above asking what, specifically are you wanting to fix? I weigh about 135 and I just put in heavier oil and emulators. I'm a happy camper at this point.

·
Registered
571 Posts
on the sonic springs website they have a calculator for you to use and figure out which rate would be best for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I sent my forks to traxxion dynamics. They set them up with the right springs for my weight and put emulators in them. Big improvement!

It was nice to just let a pro do it instead of trying to figure it out myself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What the hell are emulators?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
pslamp32 said:
Magical doohickey that make fork good.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
pslamp32 said:
They are little piston type inserts that have better valving and flow characteristics (like Cartridge forks)-hence "emulators". You install them and bypass your stock rod damping by drilling out the damper rod holes so that they become so big that they quit damping, then the emulators take over and do the damping job. they are really a great idea.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The standard forks are a fairly simple system with no "active" internal components.  A damping rod moving in oil with some small orifices to control the front end.

Emulators are spring loaded pop off valves that the control of the compression damping. The rebound damping is controlled by the weight of the oil, thicker oil = slower rebound. They are the most cost effective way to improve your front end. I would recommend 2 turns of spring load on the emulators and 20 weight oil. With emulators heavier oil does not equal stiffer ride.

Take a plastic zip tie and tighten it around your fork tube. Extend the front forks totally, front wheel off the ground. Slide the zip tie down against the fork seal and measure the distance up to the triple clamp. Write this number down. The SV has 5" of fork travel, Sag is the amount the suspension compresses under the bike and rider's weight at rest. I run about 3/4 to 1" sag.

In my opinion you want to use 75% of the travel in normal riding and leave the last 25% for severe bumps or dips. If you are only using 60%of your travel you don't need stronger springs.
If  you are using 90% of your travel in normal riding you need stronger springs, more compression damping, or more spring preload.

The object is to fully utilize your suspension for the roads you ride on.

Here's a link to a good suspension article - http://sportrider.com/tech/suspension/

I hope this help keep in mind everyone has an opinion, this is mine. Find out what works for you.

Zak

·
Registered
330 Posts
PS: I forgot to tell you the position of the zip tie after you go riding will give you the % of travel you are using. You can reset it and check after changing things like reload or oil weight.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
pslamp32 said:
Even at 145lbs, better springs will make a world of difference. I'm only 10lbs heavier than you and didn't get 2 blocks from the dealership on my '99 before I realized that better springs were going to be my first mod. This was long before I was in the spring business, so I ordered up a set of 0.85s from Race-Tech, and put in 20w oil also. Muuuuch better.
Get yourself a set of 0.80s, and mix 15 and 20w fork oil 50/50. You can get the springs either from us or from R-T, either way it'll feel like a whole new bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts