Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the problem i got is when i take tight turns, at a high rate of speed, really leaned over into the turn, my front end starts to kinda wobble/shake/feel unstable. i did the forks with emulators and 15w oil, and i just put my gsxr shock in the rear. i also got sm1's b/c as soon as i bought the bike, i felt like i didnt have enough weight on the front end. will it shake like that b/c i dont have enough weight on the front end? are clipons in order? or is it just the sv front end that is doing that?

·
Registered
369 Posts
THat sounds a bit odd. Are your forks flush with your triples? How much sag do you have set, anything less then about 28 mm or so would do what your describing. My guerss is on not enough sag, the front is tight and causing the instability. try more sag.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
probably not enough weight on the front, due to the higher bars.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i put lower bars on my bike, i gota naked. so the sm1's were alot lower than the stockers, which is why i was wondering if i need clipons. i only weigh about 130ish, so i dont have a whole lotta weight to begin with.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Geometry

I would doubt that sag would be the cause, although that's possible. It certainly doesn't hurt to check.

More likely, what shock, exactly, did you install? If it raised the rear height then you may need to drop the forks in the triple clamps a few mm. If it lowered the rear height you may need to raise them a few mm. Small moves are best, about 3 mm per change and then test ride.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Where does it wobble? Entry, mid-corner, exit?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its always had a little shake, id say mid corner. it feels good into the turn, and as i start to get harder into it round mid turn, it starts to just feel insecure. i put in a 2005 gsxr600 rear shock, if that makes a difference. but like i said, it did this before, i just figured id address the front shake now that i put the shock in the back

Y

·
0 Posts
sicksv650 said:
i put lower bars on my bike, i gota naked. so the sm1's were alot lower than the stockers, which is why i was wondering if i need clipons. i only weigh about 130ish, so i dont have a whole lotta weight to begin with.
What rate springs?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
is there a gerbil in your fork tube?!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got stock springs in the forks, i didnt think i needed anything else b/c im pretty light. i pulled the forks apart and found no gerbels, and i have a set of pilot powers with approx 2500 miles on them, so i think they are in good shape

·
Registered
369 Posts
Treof said that when he initially did his front end it was extremely unstable du to the fact htat it had like 17mm of sag which made the front end way to hard. Soften it up a bit and then check it out. If not then go to clip ons.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
mine did the same thing yesterday. i nearly laid it down. The local stealership"Plano Kawasaki Suzuki Aprillia" were asshats to me when i went to see whats going on. I felt like bashing the fkers face in with a tire iron. either way, sooner or later a friend will look at it for me.

·
Registered
606 Posts
sicksv650 said:
the problem i got is when i take tight turns, at a high rate of speed, really leaned over into the turn, my front end starts to kinda wobble/shake/feel unstable.
Really? It probably needs some attention. Tighten the whole thing up to spec, pay close attention to the steering head, make sure the tire is proerly inflated. Check oil level and make sure the front end is straight too. If anything is loose that sort of thing can happen.

:lol: Of course it could be a squid rider issue? Hard to know without actually seeing the bike and checking it out.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im no squid!!! but anyway, ill try tightening up the front end and maybe softening it a little, i got the clipons now, i just gotta put them on. hopefully ill be able to lick this problem, otherwise ill be forced to go to gsxr front end just cause :twisted:

·
Registered
199 Posts
DucOwner said:
.... pay close attention to the steering head, make sure the tire is proerly inflated. Check oil level and make sure the front end is straight too. If anything is loose that sort of thing can happen.
+1 Especially if you were experiencing head shake before the mods.
+1 on tire cupping as well.

Check the preload (if you have preload caps) on the forks, by that I mean run the adjusters all the way in (notice if the slots are pointing the same way or not) then back them out even number of turns or 1/2 turns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts