Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put my bike back together and I'm not sure what I'm forgetting/missing.

The bike fires up, but only runs on the rear cylinder. I checked the front coil, and the resistances between the terminals seem to be fine.

Between positive and negative, accepted range is 3.5-5.5 ohms - I got 5.4 ohms.
Between positive and spark plug cap, accepted range is 20-31K ohms - I got 25.38K ohms.

The tach doesn't register a signal. I believe it's run off the front coil? I'm going to pull the plug itself and make sure that the plug is firing. Can anyone tell me the colour of the wire that goes to the negative terminal? I know the positive one is black with a yellow tracer.

Any suggestions on what else to check for?

·
Registered
397 Posts
orange/with white tracer

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dbcooper.

RedAggie03 - Testing coils for resistance is easy. Make sure you know which terminal is positive and which is negative. Use a multimeter to test the resistance between the two terminals. (Look in your manual for 03+ specs.) Then, test the resistance between the positive terminal and the spark plug cap (basically shove the probe into the cap and make sure you have metal to metal contact).

The rest of the testing procedure, I haven't done myself - so I couldn't help you there. But, it should be in the electrical chapter of your manual.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Hold on a minute. Orange with white is the positive and should have 12 volts with the key on. Black with yellow is the negative that goes to the ignitior box and the tach. So check for 12 volts at the orange wire and make sure the black one is connected ok and also not grounding out somewhere. The tach itself could be blown and grounding out that black wire which will cause that problem. Disconnect it from the tach and see if the plug sparks. If it does, then the tach is bad, but it sounds like there is a problem with a connection on that black wire.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Marc is correct.I was looking in the 03 manual which is the same,just not marked for polarity and I didn't go thru the whole schematic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts