Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, post about a week back with some running issues with my bike and I tried some remedies that have yet to fix it. Okay with a little it of history on the bike
- Carbs were rebuilt and plugs replaced by a shop about 4 months ago, which the bike ran perfect afterwards
- About 2 months ago the bike was put into storage (with fresh oil and sta-bil in the tank)
- 2 weeks ago went to move the bike and it had a dead battery so we jumped it off, the bike ran great for 1min then it dropped the front cyl. So i took the battery out and placed it on the tender
- Today I replaced both of the plugs (both of which smelled of gas) and put the battery back in, it started up... but again only running on the rear cyl.

Okay, so after that brief history.. do any of you guys have any suggestions? Im hoping its not the carbs again.. they wernt cheap to get repaired 4 months ago, and i would rather not do it again. Any help would be much appreciated. And if there are any guys in the Portland area that could take a look at it I would much rather pay someone on the board than be eaten alive by the shop again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would also check the compression, if both spark and compression are good than you will need to pull the carb off the cylinder that's getting fouled, even with the fuel sta-bil the ethanol in fuel causes major problems, gas stations say that there's not more than 10% but if you run a ethanol test from different stations you will notice that they all vary and some exceed 10% than starts eating rubber gaskets.:mad:

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Did you check if the spark plug drain hole is unclogged? Perhaps some moisture got to the spark plug.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Did you check if the spark plug drain hole is unclogged? Perhaps some moisture got to the spark plug.
I assumed storage didn't mean "sitting in the driveway".

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
I assumed storage didn't mean "sitting in the driveway".
Condensation can happen in a garage under the right conditions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the compression on the bike previous to getting the carbs built months ago. Both cyl were only like 2 psi difference between the two. I did not check the weep hole for the front cyl. The bike was stored inside of a garage with my wife's ninja 250 (which runs perfect even after storage >: ( ....) anyhow, I havent checked for spark yet.. I suppose i can try that next. Thanks for the fast responces guys.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
it doesn't take much to plug a jet.. happened to me more than once

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any recommendations on how to un plug the jet if thats the problem. (im pretty carb. retarted)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, unfortunately thats a little more than I can take on by myself. Well atleast I can still check the spark. Thanks for the input though, if it turns out to be a carb problem I will probably just take it back to EDR.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately thats a little more than I can take on by myself. Well atleast I can still check the spark. Thanks for the input though, if it turns out to be a carb problem I will probably just take it back to EDR.
At least take them out an drain the bowls and spray whatever you can with carb cleaner and run some seafoam (or similar) through your tank. (assuming there's spark)

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
+1 seafoam treatment and spraying it down with some carb cleaner is easy enough.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay well thankfully where I work we sell Seafoam, so i will pick up a can. Should i just put it in the gas and try to run it through without taking the carbs off and spraying them down? Or should I just go ahead and take them off and drain the bowls then add the Seafoam ?

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
The former if you are lazy, latter will do a better job cleaning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am pretty lazy, but i also want to bike fixed... so i guess its the latter for me. Thanks for all the advice guys. I first have to check for spark, after so I will post an update.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts