Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on a 01 gsxr front end and had to use my stock master and now the brakes just dont feel the same. feels kinda mushy at times. I have tried bleeding the brakes a couple times with no improvement. So do I need to find a gsxr brake master?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you've still got some air in there someplace. Have you tried cracking the top banjo and squeezing half a stroke of fluid out? What kind of line setup do you have? Is it a single to a splitter to the calipers like stock, or a dual line from the master? This makes a difference in how easy or hard it is to bleed.

If the master cylinder bore is too small the lever will travel further before engaging, but it will still be firm once engaged. The SV has a 5/8" bore (first gen., anyway) which I believe is the same bore size as the GSXR.

Take a close look at the caliper alignment, too. There's not much of a chance this is a problem, but it doesn't take a second to check it out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure that you've still got some air in there someplace. Have you tried cracking the top banjo and squeezing half a stroke of fluid out? What kind of line setup do you have? Is it a single to a splitter to the calipers like stock, or a dual line from the master? This makes a difference in how easy or hard it is to bleed.

If the master cylinder bore is too small the lever will travel further before engaging, but it will still be firm once engaged. The SV has a 5/8" bore (first gen., anyway) which I believe is the same bore size as the GSXR.

Take a close look at the caliper alignment, too. There's not much of a chance this is a problem, but it doesn't take a second to check it out.
Its a dual line from the master. steel braided lines. Its a second gen brake master running triple piston calipers instead of the stock dual piston but the pistons on the gsxr calipers are a little smaller than the sv's. i will try bleeding from the top again and see what that does. I have been doing it from the calipers the last two times. If anything i will just bring it in shop and talk to him about it.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
OK, you may have a problem. If you can get to them, measure the diameter of the pistons. Note that the '01 GSXR had staggered diameter pistons, so you'll have to measure all three on one side of the caliper. Then measure the diameter of the stock pistons. Calculate the total piston area for both calipers (piston area X 6 for the 6 piston, X 4 for the stocks, of course). If the areas aren't close enough then the lever will never feel right.

To figure out what bore master you should be looking for, divide 5/8 by the stock total area and then multiply by the new piston area. You don't have to be exactly exact, but try to stay within 10%.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I used srad 6 pods with a stock SV 1. gen m/c without a problem.
But I am not sure if they are staggered.

Andy, I am not following your x 6 and x4 calculation.
Are the stock SV calipers not 2 (moving) pods per caliper?
So would it not mean x12 and x 4 or x6 and x 2?

What am I overlooking?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
744 Posts
There's a problem with what you said.

The GSXR 750 used a 6 piston caliper from 1996-1999, and then used a 4 caliper piston from 2000 to 2003. The 6 piston and 4 piston calipers are not interchangeable. The GSXR 600 used 4 piston caliper from 1997-2000 and 2001-2003, but they were not interchangeable between the two sets of years. The calipers are interchangeable between the 1997-2000 GSXR 600 and 1996-1999 GSXR 750 and then between the 2001-2003 GSXR 600 and 2000-2003 GSXR 750.

So, as you can see, you can't run a 2001 GSXR fork with 6 piston GSXR caliper. So what, exactly, are you running on your bike?

Separately, the SV master cylinder should work with any of the conventional GSXR brakes, however, it's well worth upgrading to a conventional Brembo MC off a Ducati Supersport.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Its a dual line from the master. steel braided lines. Its a second gen brake master running triple piston calipers instead of the stock dual piston but the pistons on the gsxr calipers are a little smaller than the sv's. i will try bleeding from the top again and see what that does. I have been doing it from the calipers the last two times. If anything i will just bring it in shop and talk to him about it.
BINGO.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Who know, he might has a bandit unit or one off a Kawasaki or ...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a problem with what you said.

The GSXR 750 used a 6 piston caliper from 1996-1999, and then used a 4 caliper piston from 2000 to 2003. The 6 piston and 4 piston calipers are not interchangeable. The GSXR 600 used 4 piston caliper from 1997-2000 and 2001-2003, but they were not interchangeable between the two sets of years. The calipers are interchangeable between the 1997-2000 GSXR 600 and 1996-1999 GSXR 750 and then between the 2001-2003 GSXR 600 and 2000-2003 GSXR 750.

So, as you can see, you can't run a 2001 GSXR fork with 6 piston GSXR caliper. So what, exactly, are you running on your bike?

Separately, the SV master cylinder should work with any of the conventional GSXR brakes, however, it's well worth upgrading to a conventional Brembo MC off a Ducati Supersport.
sorry, when I guess I meant six piston instead of three. I was thinking three per side of the caliper. It is a full front end off a 2001 gsx-r 1000 with steel braided lines. I might look around and see if I can find one of those brembo masters you're talking about. What is a decent price on one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts