Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I noticed that my front brakes were dragging, just a little bit. I installed a pair of SpeedBleeders on the front calibers, and the dragging problem went away. While bleeding the brakes, i noticed through the little hole on the bottom of the MC that the piston, or whatever it was, was returning pretty slowly.

The next day, I was riding the bike and was about to enter the highway when out of the blue, the front brakes seized up on me, forcing me to rev up to get over to the side. I got off, inspected, and then it seemed to go back to normal. Riding for a few hours after that, the problem didn't come back.

I got back home and took off the brake lever. There was a rubber cap covering the metal part that the brake lever pushes on, and the cap popped out, and refused to stay on unless I held it on. I took a picture and compared the button-seal thingy with my other SV; the seal thingy looks shredded while it looks intact on the other SV - but there were no cap on that other SV.

What do you think? Does the MC need a cleaning or rebuild? The MC looks beat-up so I could just get another one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
time for a good cleanin and rebuild change the fluid while you re at it to no need to buy a new one theyre fairly expensive and a used one is well used the rebuild kits are fairly inexpensive

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
It's pretty simple to pull that piston out, there is a circlip holding it in. Pop that off and pull out the plunger and stick the new one in. Just need to bleed the master after that and you are set.

I just bought a new plunger for my master and it was ~$30.

You could probably find a whole brake system for $50 on ebay and take your chances there too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I just got a K&L kit.

To contribute to this thread for future SVhistorians:

I read on Reddit recently about two riders who crashed while using their $40 brake/clutch lever eBay Pazzo-knockoffs. They were using those levers when their front brakes seized and caused accidents for them.

I had those same levers on my SV when the seizing happened; these levers were new and recently installed the day before the seizing. It could be a cause.

I inspected my system and the lever was indeed pushing down a bit on the piston. Those who crashed with the levers said that the levers were causing their front brakes to overheat from the levers applying consistent pressure on the piston.

I have since then switched those Pazzo-knockoffs to my other SV, with the better-looking master cylinder. The brake lever is just about contacting the MC piston. I'll be filing down the lever with a metal file to allow for more "breathing room."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts